S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission problems

Old 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Blindeye_03' timestamp='1387585563' post='22932712
Correct me if I'm wrong but when I did research recently on this site billman didn't recommend bleeding the clutch. I read he said to just such the fluid out of the reservoir and refill it.

Edit: I posted before I saw the post above. Also I'll check the other things too but if the clutch is to the floor before I shift gears and this still happens.

I'm going to check the reservoir tonight though.
There is no need to bleed the clutch if the lines have never been opened up, removing the old fluid and cleaning the reservoir and installing new fluid should be enough.

If you have too much clearance on the clutch rod it is slower to disengage as you push the pedal down, so it helps to make sure that you don't have excessive clearance on the clutch rod. It is locked with a 12mm nut on the clutch pedal assembly under-dash.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=16&t=192881
Is that a good reference to adjust the clutch?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1387589485' post='22932772
[quote name='Blindeye_03' timestamp='1387585563' post='22932712']
Correct me if I'm wrong but when I did research recently on this site billman didn't recommend bleeding the clutch. I read he said to just such the fluid out of the reservoir and refill it.

Edit: I posted before I saw the post above. Also I'll check the other things too but if the clutch is to the floor before I shift gears and this still happens.

There is no need to bleed the clutch if the lines have never been opened up, removing the old fluid and cleaning the reservoir and installing new fluid should be enough.

If you have too much clearance on the clutch rod it is slower to disengage as you push the pedal down, so it helps to make sure that you don't have excessive clearance on the clutch rod. It is locked with a 12mm nut on the clutch pedal assembly under-dash.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...&f=16&t=192881
[/quote]

Yeah the picture with the 12mm box end wrench shows the locknut really well. That is the nut to be loosened to allow the clutch rod to be lengthened or shortened, then tighten the locknut when done.

You don't need to worry about the switches or the total distance of pedal travel measurement like they show, just concern yourself with the pedal freeplay amount. Push the clutch pedal with a finger and see how much play there is in the pedal until you encounter resistance, use you finger rather than your foot. If it seems excessive then lengthen the clutch rod to shorten up the freeplay. You don't want zero freeplay and you don't want too much freeplay. I'd say a 1/2 inch to 1 inch play is probably the range to be in, no more and no less. Once the locknut is loosened, you can lengthen the clutch rod by turning it clockwise to tighten up the amount of freeplay, turning it counter-clockwise shortens the rod and increases pedal freeplay.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by Blindeye_03' timestamp='1387592953' post='22932834
[quote name='JFUSION' timestamp='1387589485' post='22932772']
[quote name='Blindeye_03' timestamp='1387585563' post='22932712']

https://www.s2ki.com/...T&f=16&t=192881
[/quote]

Yeah the picture with the 12mm box end wrench shows the locknut really well. That is the nut to be loosened to allow the clutch rod to be lengthened or shortened, then tighten the locknut when done.

You don't need to worry about the switches or the total distance of pedal travel measurement like they show, just concern yourself with the pedal freeplay amount. Push the clutch pedal with a finger and see how much play there is in the pedal until you encounter resistance, use you finger rather than your foot. If it seems excessive then lengthen the clutch rod to shorten up the freeplay. You don't want zero freeplay and you don't want too much freeplay. I'd say a 1/2 inch to 1 inch play is probably the range to be in, no more and no less. Once the locknut is loosened, you can lengthen the clutch rod by turning it clockwise to tighten up the amount of freeplay, turning it counter-clockwise shortens the rod and increases pedal freeplay.
[/quote]

Thank you for the help, I may do this tomorrow morning if I have time. I did look at my clutch fluid, and it was pretty meh looking. I think I need to get something to suck the fluid out and possibly some brake fluid too to fill in there. Its been 2 years now since I had it flushed/bled. I took it to a place that did my brakes and I assume it was bled (I asked them + they put super blue in it so I am sure they did).
Old 12-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think you have air in your flluid. You need to get it out.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
I still think you have air in your flluid. You need to get it out.
I dont see anywhere that Billman recommends bleeding the clutch. Again, I had this done two years ago before I knew any better (40,000 miles ago). Im asking an honest question, how can air get into the system if everything has been fine up until 2000-3000 miles ago?

I DO plan to get the old fluid out though, I just need the fluid and a baster and plan to do that tomorrow morning.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:25 AM

I adjusted the clutch rod about 6/8s of a full turn clockwise, and drove to the autostore to get some brake fluid. I then syphoned out the reservoir and filled it after wiping the gunk out. I pumped the clutch a few times and did it again and it was much cleaner, but I have a feeling I need to drive it around some and then do it again a few times before it is completely cleaned out.

All in all I *think* it feels better and shifts smoother. It still was notchy and what not when I started it up and pulled out of the garage. I haven't driven it yet after the clutch fluid refilling/cleaning since it started to rain but I will before my family function today.

If it still isn't feeling right then I am going to have a buddy help with the transmission fluid change tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:54 AM

After a quick test drive the gears feel easier to get into, and I am still taking my time shifting the lever slowly. Although the 2-3 shift still feels off from all the other gears. Downshifting the lever still doesnt want to come out of 3rd as easily as other gears. This is so strange...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

At what rpm are you changing gear?
Old 12-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Blindeye_03
After a quick test drive the gears feel easier to get into, and I am still taking my time shifting the lever slowly. Although the 2-3 shift still feels off from all the other gears. Downshifting the lever still doesnt want to come out of 3rd as easily as other gears. This is so strange...
3rd gear requires a quick shift, at a higher rpm. I had a lot of issues with my shifting, but I found my slave cylinder was destroyed. I replaced the slave (they were both under a year old), and it works well now.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by arsenremember timestamp='1387650957' post='22933462'
At what rpm are you changing gear?
Between 4000-5000 rpm.
Originally Posted by BlakeKleinCalabrese
[quote name='Blindeye_03' timestamp='1387648495' post='22933436]
3rd gear requires a quick shift, at a higher rpm. I had a lot of issues with my shifting, but I found my slave cylinder was destroyed. I replaced the slave (they were both under a year old), and it works well now.
[/quote]

A year after you got it from someone else or brand new?

Quick Reply: Transmission problems