S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission not smooth after fluid change

Old 05-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by spets
Try GM/Penzoil Syncromesh or Amsoil if the honda MTF didn't fix the grind.
I'll give it a shot, appreciate the help on this.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Originally Posted by tama05
I just changed my transmission oil last weekend, I have not noticed any smoother shifting and my second gear grinding when engaged. I used Honda Manual Transmission Fluid and it was to the fill hole on the transmission, starting to drip out. Any suggestions as to why I am having this issue.
swap out the clutch fluid and make sure the master cylinder is clean, if it is black and dirt clean it out prior to filling with clean new fluid.

Check the clutch rod (underdash) and close up the clearance on the clutch rod by extending it, it is a 2 minute job. Both items help with 2nd gear grinds, it sounds like your fluid change was done properly so check the other two items I've highlighted.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fluid was fine, so it could be another issue. My transmission is a little notchy when cold but smooth when warm. Seems your issue is mostly, if only, when the transmission is cold. 15 minutes sounds about right for the transmission to be up to temp.

Another fluid change won't hurt, so you can try that first.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by tama05
It was Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, gray bottle with a green label. The car was pretty level from what I could see, I used about a quart and a half of the Honda stuff, and a little 10w30 mixed in to top it off, I only had that much left of the Honda fluid. Should I drain it and fill it up using only Honda fluid?
I don't know if mixing MTF with 10w30 was the best idea IMO. I would dump it and use 2 quarts of MTF (I will second the previous recommendation of Amsoil MTF)
Old 05-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
Originally Posted by tama05' timestamp='1306029349' post='20601310
It was Genuine Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, gray bottle with a green label. The car was pretty level from what I could see, I used about a quart and a half of the Honda stuff, and a little 10w30 mixed in to top it off, I only had that much left of the Honda fluid. Should I drain it and fill it up using only Honda fluid?
I don't know if mixing MTF with 10w30 was the best idea IMO. I would dump it and use 2 quarts of MTF (I will second the previous recommendation of Amsoil MTF)
Topping off with 10W-30 is not a problem. I ran Schaeffers 10W-30 syn in my tranny for a couple of years. If you haven't changed the clutch fluid do so now.

Get used to granny shifting those first few 1-2 shifts when you first start up. I just do it by rote now and let the car warm up before doing anything dramaitic. You'll be fine.

I am using Amsoil now though.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:33 PM

So does amsoil prevent from granny? I bought my car used with 22k miles and I don't have any grinding right now. I don't know when the last mtf change was. Should I change my mtf fluid anyway?
Old 05-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cold transmission may have some notchiness or grinding no matter what brand you put in there. Some are better than others in helping with that though.

Whenever you buy a used car, all fluids should be changed, within reason of course. Who/where you bought it from will dictate what fluids to change. At a minimum, you should change the oil and oil filter, the transmission fluid, the differential fluid, spark plugs (if they look like they need to be changed), cabin filter and intake air filter.

Check out the thread on what to check for when buying at the top of this forum.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
swap out the clutch fluid and make sure the master cylinder is clean, if it is black and dirt clean it out prior to filling with clean new fluid.

Check the clutch rod (underdash) and close up the clearance on the clutch rod by extending it, it is a 2 minute job. Both items help with 2nd gear grinds, it sounds like your fluid change was done properly so check the other two items I've highlighted.
Check for leaks.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Any updates?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM

I changed the rear differential oil to 70w90 Mobile1, engine oil 10w30 Mobile1, and manual transmission to Mobile1 10w30 extended. All Full Synthetic! It's soo nice now. It's like it was brand new brand new. Like meant to drive!

Before this it wasn't shifting right, skipping gears. Kept scratching gears. Feels very smooth, feels like I need to keep driving it like it needs to be driven so all the lubrication runs through the whole car.

The owners manual said either use Honda MTF for the tranny or any 10W30, so I picked Mobile1 synthetic the tranny, differential, and the engine. Also I used a K&N oil filter.

I read on here by someone that he heard Royal Purple wasn't good, but they do sound good.

Has anyone used Royal Purple for anything? How is it really? For the tyranny I also heard GM Synchro & the other brand syncho was good but not good smooth when it was cold.

I will update again if my car runs smooth & shifts smooth soon as I get to try it cold. It's been warm all day, especially since the engine oil change, transmission oil change, and differential oil change that was done today all at the same time.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Transmission not smooth after fluid change