S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

transmission "noise"

Old 10-05-2002, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission "noise"

I have searched and found no reference to the noticeable sound from my transmission...at rest, in nuetral, clutch out. A whirring sound, doubtless the input shaft turning. Depress clutch and (of course) sound goes away, as everything in the transmission stops turning. Clutch out and it returns. It is a benign sound, so probably ok, but more noticeable that in other cars, and especially with the top up. Is it noticeable on others' cars? A rumbly sound would suggest a failing input shaft bearing, but this sounds ok.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:39 PM

Throwout bearing... or maybe your transmission is just noisy. S2K's are notorious for noise with the top up.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

One of the 1st things I noticed after changing my tranny fluid to GM Synchromesh, is that the tranny is MUCH quieter. I can't hear any tranny noise at all with the top up now, but it was pretty noticeable with the original oil.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Normal.

You oughtta try pulling the center console out, and the second rubber shift boot, LOTS more noise comes out.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:58 PM

hi all.

i have a 2006 s2k w/26K miles and have the same "noise" when clutch is not depressed; the spinning / whirring noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed in.

i think that's normal...

i think when the noise gets louder is when there's a problem with a bearing or something.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Try to stay away from gm, pennzoil and royal purple, ect... synchromesh/max fluids. They are not design to use in the s2000 tranny, alot of people in this forum have experimented using this synchromesh oils in the tranny. Including myself, one thing I noticed it sheared quickly after 3000 miles. So I changed it to ams oil synchromesh 5w30, it worked out good and it is design to use for s2000, you can use any good synthetic motor oils 10w30, 10w40 or 5w30, 5w40 in the tranny for a short period of time. In my opinion, tranny fluids in the s2000 should be changed yearly to yield good shifting result. There is a gentelman "slipstream" on this forum had talked about the danger of using gm synchromesh oil in the tranny. And I believe he is right about the gm synchromesh fluid. Some civic si/mugen guys I talked to at the local coffee house also complained about gm, royal purple synchromesh/max on their cars. They said after a while, the notchy shifting came back.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:28 AM

like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGC8QpnUlI

Originally Posted by MMIISMM
I have searched and found no reference to the noticeable sound from my transmission...at rest, in nuetral, clutch out. A whirring sound, doubtless the input shaft turning. Depress clutch and (of course) sound goes away, as everything in the transmission stops turning. Clutch out and it returns. It is a benign sound, so probably ok, but more noticeable that in other cars, and especially with the top up. Is it noticeable on others' cars? A rumbly sound would suggest a failing input shaft bearing, but this sounds ok.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jean-roch
like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdGC8QpnUlI

Originally Posted by MMIISMM' timestamp='1033829095' post='1049766
i have this exact kind of noise as the vid, noise goes away when you press the clutch pedal down, is this normal or cause for concern?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 AM

anyone?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Received 4,289 Likes on 3,332 Posts

T/O bearing its normal mines been doing it for a long time. I've had other cars with the same thing no cause for alarm.

Quick Reply: transmission "noise"