S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission leak

Old 04-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Transmission leak

For the past couple of months I have noticed some oil leaks in the garage from the area in which my wife parks her car ('04 Civic with '04 K20A2). I've been checking the engine oil regularily and it hasn't dropped. This morning I finally had a chance (aka got off my lazy ass!) put the car up on jack stands and go underneath and have a look.

To my surprise the leak was coming from the transmission case. The entire area around that transmission was caked with oil. I cleaned it up the best I could and got out a flashlight to see if I could pin-point the leak. It looks as if the oil seal between the transmission case and the right driveshaft assembly is leaking. We've noticed, during the last couple of months, that a fair amount of heat is coming up through the shift box and that the gears are "notchy".

If the transmission is low on oil, which judging by the amount of oil caked on around the transmission case it must be, I am sure this would case the transmission to get "extra" hot and this is the source of the heat coming up through the shift box. Also, low transmission oil is probably causing the notchiness in the gears.

The car currently has an Exedy Hyper Single, and we plan on replacing that with a Comptech flywheel, OEM disc, and OEM pressure plate (all of which we have in hand). During the clutch replacement, I am sure the oil seal mentioned above would be replaced.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

IMO check the oil level with the transmission oil dip stick and add if needed.
#1 I would do.
If the oil smels bad (burned) have the oil changed.
#2 I would do.
Check car papers for warranty.
#3 I would do.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:20 PM

depending on where you get it replaced at.. most places will ask/ recommend replacing any seals while they are in there.. but if they dont recommend just buy the stuff and have them replace all the seals once they get in there.

what kinda of miles u have.. and could it be engine oil fluid from doing an oil change and not cleaning it up 100%
Old 04-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Apr 28 2007, 02:20 PM
depending on where you get it replaced at.. most places will ask/ recommend replacing any seals while they are in there.. but if they dont recommend just buy the stuff and have them replace all the seals once they get in there.

what kinda of miles u have.. and could it be engine oil fluid from doing an oil change and not cleaning it up 100%
The engine has about 15K miles. No, I do not think it is engine oil because there is no oil around the are in which the oil drain plug is. It is all concentrated around the transmission case.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:39 PM

oh only was i talking about the oil plug leaking or not cleaned up after drain.. but the oil filter.. when u losing it to drain the oil and some gets on the engine block.. later on the oil will drip down and fly back when your driving.. im saying this cuz i work on toyotas.. yea im crazy , im a honda guy working at toyota.. but anyways. . on the 4 cylinder tacomas.. i had oil residue rite under the tranny.. i was like wtf.. only 15k on this truck and the seals bad.. no way.. i look around and i guess the person before didnt clean the oil filter area and oil drip down and flew back to the lowest point of the tranny.. i cleaned it all off and i found no leak.. even too the fly wheel cover off to feel for fluids since it was an automatic

but hard for me to say cuz no pics
Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Apr 28 2007, 06:39 PM
oh only was i talking about the oil plug leaking or not cleaned up after drain.. but the oil filter.. when u losing it to drain the oil and some gets on the engine block.. later on the oil will drip down and fly back when your driving.. im saying this cuz i work on toyotas.. yea im crazy , im a honda guy working at toyota.. but anyways. . on the 4 cylinder tacomas.. i had oil residue rite under the tranny.. i was like wtf.. only 15k on this truck and the seals bad.. no way.. i look around and i guess the person before didnt clean the oil filter area and oil drip down and flew back to the lowest point of the tranny.. i cleaned it all off and i found no leak.. even too the fly wheel cover off to feel for fluids since it was an automatic

but hard for me to say cuz no pics
Thanks for your input!

I am almost 100% positive because I say oil leaking from the oil gasket between the transmission case and the driveshaft. Also, something needs to account for the notchiness in the gears and the heat coming up through the gear box. I believe that a low amount of tranny oil would contribute to these two issues.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure it doesn't originate from the valve cover or oil cap area. Many an owner or technician has spilled oil when adding.

Hint: Oil always goes down.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sideways,Apr 28 2007, 10:22 PM
Make sure it doesn't originate from the valve cover or oil cap area. Many an owner or technician has spilled oil when adding.

Hint: Oil always goes down.
The oil filter and oil pan are on the left side of the engine. The transmission case is on the right side. I checked this morning and there are no leaks coming from the oil filter or pan. Also, the oil is completely full and has been so for at least the past 3 weeks. There is fresh oil around the oil seal on the transmission case.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

let us know when you find out where its leaking from...