S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Issues - help!

Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Transmission Issues - help!

Hey guys,
The transmission usually is great, but lately since the past two nights I've had a bit of an issue. Did a transmission fluid change in June along with the DIFF and clutch fluid etc. so i find it odd but the gears feel sort of slightly hard to get in and feel as when they do during winters in cold in the first few minutes of the drive prior to the transmission oil getting warm. I also noticed that while i was driving in second pushing the rev's up it required a slight push to get out of second gear and into 3rd.

When the engine's shut off, the gears are just fine to shift no problems even right now they aren't just the using of force is bothering me and its not normal. Can anyone perhaps isolate the issue or has had the same experience? Plus usually I've noticed when accelerating hard in 1st and shifting into second it at times slips and grind.

Please help....I've got a 02 with 68K clicks on it..and extended warranty..
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first suspicion would be clutch.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:44 AM

What replacement of the entire clutch or just a fluid change? I've been on top of all fluid changes and barely ever do any hard starts or etc..
Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 AM

Ouch, sounds like the precursor to the problems I'm having. Search some of my recent posts in under the hood, it may or may not be the clutch but it's worth checking the master and slave cylinder for leaks. Also check to make sure the slave piston and fork is greased properly.

I'm having the clutch inspected right now, hopefully I'll find something wrong with it
Old 08-08-2006, 09:33 AM

Thanks!! Yea I'm gonna take it to a mechanic today and dealer tomorrow since the car is under warranty (hopefully its not a wear and tear part). Not that its causing any big issues right now, but just might as well have it fixed before any more extensive damage. Doesn't seem to be a clutch issue since it engages disengages in nuetral perfectly
Old 08-09-2006, 07:45 AM

It seems the mechanics all drove the car and said nothing seems to be wrong. But i know for a fact that it happened once where the second gear got stuck alittle and just felt that I had to push it out alittle, where as usually its more of a flick. I'm dropping the car off at Honda tomorrow for further inspection...
Old 08-09-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nubreed,Aug 9 2006, 08:45 AM
It seems the mechanics all drove the car and said nothing seems to be wrong. But i know for a fact that it happened once where the second gear got stuck alittle and just felt that I had to push it out alittle, where as usually its more of a flick. I'm dropping the car off at Honda tomorrow for further inspection...
Not sure that's a good move. In my dealings with Honda dealers, they are usually either incompetent or trying to dick you for more $$$$. For example, if I went with my dealer's reccomendation for a new tranny , I'd be out over $4000 and still have the same problem. Instead I basically got a much better diagnoiss for free here, and now I'll only be out ~ $1200 for a new clutch/flywheel and install.

Not saying the dealer will lie to you, but take it with a grain of salt. Be skeptical.

Now about your problem, what do you mean that the clutch engages in neutral perfectly? You said that its hard to shift out of second...do you hear any clunking or rattling? When you push the clutch in, do the RPM's go down immediately or does it stay up a little longer than normal?