S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

transmission issue

Old 10-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission issue

Did anyone ever experience 1st gear intermitten popping out on ap2. Please share your experience or advice. thanks

Dan
Old 10-02-2005, 12:40 AM

There is a TSB on popping out of 2nd gear for 04-05 cars, at high RPM. TSB#05-009.

Here is a copy of the TSB text:

Service Bulletin
 2005 American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had it pop out of first. First day I got her, 2nd and 3rd were notchy and still are. First has popped out about 5 times RANDOM. I'm going to have it taken care of when I go in for service at OC HONDA WORLD.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Samer327,Oct 2 2005, 04:18 AM
I've had it pop out of first. First day I got her, 2nd and 3rd were notchy and still are. First has popped out about 5 times RANDOM. I'm going to have it taken care of when I go in for service at OC HONDA WORLD.
Definitely have the dealer check it out. You don't mention what kind of miles you have on the car but 5 times for an '05 model seems a little excessive. I've had it pop out of 1st gear 3 times on my '04 model in 23k miles, it's been over 10k miles since the last time, but those were times when I was distracted and didn't get it all the way in gear in the first place.

2nd and 3rd gear notchiness is very common on these cars, especially when they're new and especially when the transmission is cold. My car limbered up significantly in about 7k miles and the shift quality made another quantum leap when I changed the tranny fluids at about 13.5k miles. I used the GM synthesized, friction modified manual transmission fluid. A lot of folks on this forum have been very happy with it. On the other hand, I've read several posts lately that indicate that any good quality oil that meets Honda's specs for the transmission will do as well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:05 PM

I went to Honda World in OC last monday Sept 26,05. Service technician test drive my car approx. an hour and they cannot duplicated the problem;therefore, they said they only repair whenever they're detected the 1st gear popping out .
Old 10-02-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intrepid, I've only have about 3500 miles on my car. Still have yet to change the motor oil. I'm thinking about having trans and diff oil change when I get my first oil change.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend of mine with an '04 had this exact problem. He was having problems with the transmission popping out of 1st and 2nd gear, and having first not engage properly even when the shift lever was moved into position. He had a hard time having one particular dealer help (claiming that they could not duplicate the problem), so he went to another dealer and they took good care of him.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Samer327,Oct 2 2005, 11:32 PM
Intrepid, I've only have about 3500 miles on my car. Still have yet to change the motor oil. I'm thinking about having trans and diff oil change when I get my first oil change.
Five times in 3500 miles, that's definitely too much in my opinion. My experience was a little different. The three times I had it happen, it occured between 8k and about 11.5k miles. I'm certain that it happened because I was not paying attention and didn't get it all the way engaged and it popped back out when I started releasing the clutch. I did my tranny oil change at 13.5k miles and I just rounded 23k miles the other day and I've not had this problem since. Also, some have reported the transmission popping out of 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear. I've never had that happen so I can't say what's up with that.

There have been legitimate issues with the transmissions on these cars. I personally think they're the exception rather than the norm but they do happen from time to time. If your primary dealer isn't finding the problem, definitely get a second or even third opinion if you have to.

Good luck,
Steve R.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Oct 3 2005, 06:04 AM
Five times in 3500 miles, that's definitely too much in my opinion. My experience was a little different. The three times I had it happen, it occured between 8k and about 11.5k miles. I'm certain that it happened because I was not paying attention and didn't get it all the way engaged and it popped back out when I started releasing the clutch. I did my tranny oil change at 13.5k miles and I just rounded 23k miles the other day and I've not had this problem since. Also, some have reported the transmission popping out of 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear. I've never had that happen so I can't say what's up with that.

There have been legitimate issues with the transmissions on these cars. I personally think they're the exception rather than the norm but they do happen from time to time. If your primary dealer isn't finding the problem, definitely get a second or even third opinion if you have to.

Good luck,
Steve R.
What's type or brand of tranny fluid did you use.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:15 PM

What type of tranny problems are on ap1?

I have notchy/hard to engage at high rpm aswell as grining(gear not all the way in). Running motul tranny oil, still no fix.

Quick Reply: transmission issue