S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission gear question

Old 12-04-2006, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission gear question

I have my tranny apart at the moment because I'm having problems with 1st and reverse.

REVERSE- If I put it into reverse and try going, it'll kind of clunk some and studder backwards, like it's not engaging fully or correctly. When I finally back up to where I need to be, it's difficult to shift it OUT of reverse.

1ST AND NEUTRAL- When coming to a stop at a stop sign, or stop light etc., I can not put it into 1st at all unless I do a certain process. I have to put it into neutral, blip the throttle to 2-3k (so it doesn't die when i double clutch), then engage first while the rpms are at 2-3k after the blip of throttle. If I attempt to disengage the clutch while in neutral and stopped, it will die. I have to blip the throttle to at least 2k in order to release the clutch while in neutral or it'll die on me. It is very difficult to push it backwards, if not impossible (I'm not sure) while in neutral.

So now that I've given my problems, I have it apart and I have a question. All of the gears on the countershaft and mainshaft spin freely except for the 2nd gear on countershaft. It will spin one direction, but when I try to turn it the other direction, it won't budge. All the other gears will spin both directions except 2nd. So, do I have bad synchros for 2nd gear? Bad collar between 1st and 2nd or something?

Any ideas? I called Honda asking the price on a new synchro set and it was like over $200, so I want to make sure it's right before I order anything.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like one or more of your synchros are stuck together, locking the trans into gear.

-The synchro/gear assemblies are on a roller bearing, so they should spin freely both directions on the shaft. If it doesn't, take the gear off and see if the bearings are worn or pitted, and make sure the shaft is still smooth. You will most likely have to press the gears off in order to remove them from the shaft.

-If I remember correctly, first and reverse gears have no synchros, they are part of the shaft, so this would explain why you have a hard time with reverse, if you have a bad bearing on the 2nd gear, you have what is essentially two gears in gear at the same time.

-You should also check the clearances on the shift forks; if they are excessive, you may not be able to shift in/out of gears correctly.

-$200 sounds about right, since you get the synchro assembly with a new gear.