S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission and fuel guage question...

Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and fuel guage question...

So I was sitting at a stop light and I tried to go into first gear, but it wouldn't go. So I went into second gear then back into first and I heard a clunk noise. I have noticed my transmission is kind of clunky, but I guess it is just me. Is this normal? I only have 30k miles on it.

Also, the fuel guage doesn't go up to full real fast. When I first bought it and put gas in it, it went up right away, but not anymore now. Has anyone had this happeN?

THanks
Cris P.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This will address your clunk:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...246243&hl=thunk

Don't worry about it. You are likely rushing trying to go from neutral to 1st when you see the light turn green.

Don't worry about the fuel gauge, either. What's important is that it will get to full after you fuel up. Even more important is that it will read properly as you go through the fuel.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the info on the tranny. That is exactly what it's doing. If I am somewhat moving and go into first it goes in just fine.

FOr the fuel issue. See when I bought the car they filled it up for me. So after about using a 1/4 of a tank, I filled it back up and did a gas mileage calc. and got 28mpg. A little high I think. SO, I drive a few days and go fill up again and get about 24mpg. However, this time I noticed that my guage is going down much much faster. SO I fill up today only putting in 1.5 gallons (2-3 bars were blank on the guage). and I do a gas mileage check of and get 20mpg. Am I just freaking over nothing?

I normally use shell fuel, but im thinking of swapping to exxon or something else.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave is correct, but just to make sure....

1st, the fuel gauge. The s2000 fuel gauge is electrical (computer controlled) not mechanical. If you fill up with the car on (I did this once) the fuel gauge will read way off for miles (mine took about 80 miles of driving to go back to full) (this applies to the car running, or having ACCII on. If you have the car off, and fill up, when you fire up, it will fly to full instantly.
Also, about the gauge dropping faster than other times....The s2000 fuel gauge is a 2 in 1. Not only does it read the gas level, it is also kind of a simplistic trip computer. It calculates your throttle position, RPMS, what gear you are in, etc, and shows you how well you are doing MPG wise. I cant tell you how many times I had 1 bar left on the gauge, and drove at 3100rpms on the highway, to find the gauge to go up to 4 bars. Same result will occur, if you have 4 bars, and start VTECing every 15 seconds, it will drop to one bar very quickly. It is just a calculator. On my car, anything from 2 bars to 1/4 tank, the car always ends up taking about 10.2 gallons.

2nd...the tranny. Although you might be experiencing XVIPERs link....you might also be coming from a car that is a bit different. You may be confusing a "clunk" with the s2000s renowed snick snick transmission. Our gearbox is very direct, and you will hear snicks when you change gears....that are very pronouced in 1st and reverse, especially when the car is cold.

However, if it really is a clunk, then that link provides good information.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the additional info! I did have the ACC on w/ the key, so that the radio was still on. I guess that would do it. Has anyone experienced different gas mileages using different brands of fuel?

I have noticed that this tranny does "clunk" more than any other I have driven. I will change the tranny fluid after I get some extra cash, just to be sure.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:25 PM

NFRs2000NYC, that was some good info on the fuel gauge. I was wondering why the gas level would go up during steady state driving. I learn something new about the S2000 everyday.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to comment on your method for determining mileage. It is not accurate in any way to run a couple to a few gallons before fueling up for the purpose of mileage calculation. You need to do full tank useage to determine a proper fuel consumption assessment. There are many, many reasons why this is so. I won't go into it as I'm sure you will come up with some of your own if you just take some time to think about it a little.
Even a single full tank's worth of driving will not be as accurate as if you kept records of every fuel up and a log of miles driven over several months.
Also, 1.5 gallons cannot be related to the number of bars on the fuel gauge. The bars on the gauge will represent a different volume depending upon where on the gauge it resides and at what point you actually set your eyes on it.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by xviper,Feb 9 2006, 04:59 PM
I'd like to comment on your method for determining mileage. It is not accurate in any way to run a couple to a few gallons before fueling up for the purpose of mileage calculation. You need to do full tank useage to determine a proper fuel consumption assessment. There are many, many reasons why this is so. I won't go into it as I'm sure you will come up with some of your own if you just take some time to think about it a little.
Even a single full tank's worth of driving will not be as accurate as if you kept records of every fuel up and a log of miles driven over several months.
Also, 1.5 gallons cannot be related to the number of bars on the fuel gauge. The bars on the gauge will represent a different volume depending upon where on the gauge it resides and at what point you actually set your eyes on it.
I just use my trip counter divide that by the amount of gallons that went into the car during the fillup. Usually, I have about 280 or so miles on the counter, and fill about 10.4 gallons. I reset the counter after every fillup.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Feb 9 2006, 12:56 PM
Dave is correct, but just to make sure....

1st, the fuel gauge. The s2000 fuel gauge is electrical (computer controlled) not mechanical. If you fill up with the car on (I did this once) the fuel gauge will read way off for miles (mine took about 80 miles of driving to go back to full) (this applies to the car running, or having ACCII on. If you have the car off, and fill up, when you fire up, it will fly to full instantly.
Also, about the gauge dropping faster than other times....The s2000 fuel gauge is a 2 in 1. Not only does it read the gas level, it is also kind of a simplistic trip computer. It calculates your throttle position, RPMS, what gear you are in, etc, and shows you how well you are doing MPG wise. I cant tell you how many times I had 1 bar left on the gauge, and drove at 3100rpms on the highway, to find the gauge to go up to 4 bars. Same result will occur, if you have 4 bars, and start VTECing every 15 seconds, it will drop to one bar very quickly. It is just a calculator. On my car, anything from 2 bars to 1/4 tank, the car always ends up taking about 10.2 gallons.

2nd...the tranny. Although you might be experiencing XVIPERs link....you might also be coming from a car that is a bit different. You may be confusing a "clunk" with the s2000s renowed snick snick transmission. Our gearbox is very direct, and you will hear snicks when you change gears....that are very pronouced in 1st and reverse, especially when the car is cold.

However, if it really is a clunk, then that link provides good information.

Good luck!
Good info on the fuel gauge. It reminds me of a C-172, the gauges are accurate when the tanks are either completely full or completely empty. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by diondrum,Feb 9 2006, 10:11 PM
Good info on the fuel gauge. It reminds me of a C-172, the gauges are accurate when the tanks are either completely full or completely empty. Thanks.
Not ours. Ive had 0 bars on my gauge a number of times, and filled up 11.2 gallons to full.

This is why Ive been preaching that the EPA rating on the s2000 is wrong. Ive gotten in the 30s MPG on long drives on many tanks, and never dip below 20MPG at the lowest.

When I hit 20/21mpg, I flog the car like no tomorrow. On average, I do about 25mpg.

Quick Reply: Transmission and fuel guage question...