S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Fluid Change DIY

Old 04-21-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wakathi
Had the transmission fluid and rear differential fluid changed after about 30k miles.
Used Honda MTF for the transmission. During flush, the old transmission oil looked like new! Got it replaced anyway. The gear change does seem smoother now.
Thanks!
There's nothing in the tranny to gunk it up, so it should always come out looking fresh.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm giving this a try today. My first time by myself.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...it's a 30 min job so I do my trans & diff every April.Amsoil MTF and Severe Gear 75-110 for my 03.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I didn't realize how uneven my driveway is. My 2.25 Ton hydraulic jack couldn't get my car high enough for the 4-ton jack stands I bought. G/f ran home to get her old, leaking 3-ton jack and smaller jack stands. Finally got three wheels off the ground and raised the front jack stand even higher.

I had very good clearance for doing the transmission fluid, but due to time constraints did not do the Diff fluid yesterday. got my 1/2" drive torque wrench on the fill bolt (tight fit), but didn't have a 3/8" drive torque wrench for the drain bolt.

When it came time to lower the car, the 3-t Jack could not lift high enough the clear the front stands. We built up a frame of 2X4s to raise the jack, but 3 levels of wood wasn't enough, yet. I had to hammer one stand, gouging my concrete driveway, but eventually got the stand free

I lowered the hydraulic jack, and it fell off of the wood frame, getting pinned under the car. Then I took the OEM jack and lifted the car enough to free the hydraulic jack and wood.

Back down on the ground, rush tool cleanup, S into the garage, and into the G/f's SUV to take her son home before we went out.

This morning was the first chance I had to drive with the new fluid. What a difference! Much smoother now.

Edited to correct typos and add clarification.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was way past due to have this done.

Followed this thread exactly and had no issues at all!

Great Write-up!!
Old 08-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

I'm not sure the transmission oil has ever been changed on my new-to-me '06 with 40K miles so I dutifully followed the excellent instructions and got her done on a rainy afternoon. Fresh washers. Honda oil.

No room for my socket handle so I removed the fill port with a 17mm box wrench remembering to smack it to break it loose. Once it got a good smack it came out with just my fingers. Drained the old, black oil. Much darker than what went in. Lots of pumping with the lil' 4cc pump, but more boring than difficult. Lots of pumping and some groaning. "Hey, what's going on under there?"

Other than not being to use a 1/2" 17mm socket there were no surprises.

Spent some time under there checking sub frame bolts, etc. and nothing was loose. Nice on an 8 year old car!

Thank you, everyone, for the technical data on this forum! I have no intent to Fast&Furious this car (beyond the FIPK intake) and want to do all the routine maintenance myself.

-- Chuck
Old 09-01-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

I fill my tranny using a funnel and a few feet of clear 5/8" tubing. The funnel sits in the engine bay and the tubing runs down to the tranny fill hole, just let gravity do all the work. I don't have to put the car up on jackstands, I just put it on level ground. I can reach the drain and fill bolts from the driver side rocker/rail, and I don't have to go under the car. I dump in almost 2 bottles of tranny fluid, let the excess drain out of the fill hole and close it up. No pumping, maybe a 5 minute job.

I use the same method to fill the diff, I just use a different funnel and hose, and I fill it from outside of the rear driver side wheel area.

Name:  DSC00406_zps419133ec.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  62.7 KB
Old 02-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys what can i replace the drain bolt with a ratchet's 3/8" drive with and alternative bolt so its easier for me to remove. the previous owner has placed back it toooooooooooo tight that i cant even open using man power. I am sure the previous owner used the gun to jam tht in. and while opening it today, the inside of the 3/8" drive slot is getting ruined. So, when i do get it open, i want to replace it with something from auto zone. so what size do i need to buy so its a perfect fit.

drain bolt with a ratchet's 3/8" drive
Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 PM

Received 3,772 Likes on 2,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsan Malik
guys what can i replace the drain bolt with a ratchet's 3/8" drive with and alternative bolt so its easier for me to remove. the previous owner has placed back it toooooooooooo tight that i cant even open using man power. I am sure the previous owner used the gun to jam tht in. and while opening it today, the inside of the 3/8" drive slot is getting ruined. So, when i do get it open, i want to replace it with something from auto zone. so what size do i need to buy so its a perfect fit.

drain bolt with a ratchet's 3/8" drive
Do you have a breaker bar ?, you need to get a long tool onto the bolt and give it a good quick crack loose. I'd use a breaker bar with a 3/8th adapter on the end.

I don't think they would have used an air gun on that bolt, it would have cracked the pan/case.

Check out the Spoon magnetic bolts, they have a regular head on them, http://www.gotuning.com/product_info...roducts_id=378
Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your post gives me all the confidence in the world that I can tackle my own transmission fluid change and save money at the same time. Thanks for the great write up brother

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Change DIY