S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Fluid

Old 11-13-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Nov 10 2006, 07:07 AM
Last time I bought an OEM oil drain bolt washer it was made of solid aluminum.
Same goes for the transmission and diff washers.
Aluminum has the property to harden under load/stress.
So when you tighten the drain bolt the washer hardens a bit and might not seal (but most times it does ) the second time you tighten the drain bolt.
What you could do, is clean the washer and gently and evenly heat it up to about 300C (570F) and keep it at that temp for a minute or so and let it cool down on its own to soften it up to its original state.
The heat of the engine is not enough to soften it.
Keep a new one at hand, because if you heat it up to much or to fast it will melt

I am pretty sure one of the washer on the diff is a brass/brass colour

I change mine every year, that's every two diff/tranny changes
Old 11-13-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90402-PCZ-003 is the Brass or Copper one (for the diff), It's the fill washer, they always come in a pink tinted bag. I have one sitting in a bag waiting on me.
The transmission has 14mm crush washer and a 20mm crush washer. The 14mm is the same part# as the oil drain bolt washer. I don't have the part number for the 20mm in front of me. The washer's I get at Honda of Pasadena are indeed crush washers. If you look closely at them they are a two layer "sandwich" one side is smoother than the other. It is very visible if you look at them from the edge. I'm pretty sure the coarse side goes against the oil pan/trans. Once they are correctly installed and torqued down they do "crush". I just threw out 2 old ones (one was off a civic oil pan, but its the same) and would not have considered re-using them, they definitely deform on installation.

EDIT: Besides, I think the only washers they make me pay for are ones for the diff.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SenderGreen,Nov 13 2006, 09:49 PM
The washer's I get at Honda of Pasadena are indeed crush washers. Once they are correctly installed and torqued down they do "crush". I just threw out 2 old ones (one was off a civic oil pan, but its the same) and would not have considered re-using them, they definitely deform on installation.
The whole point of using the crush washer is that it crushes up against the oil pan or tranny case or diff and seals against oil leaks. As long as there is no oil leak, there is no real problem using the old washer. Washers are cheap, I'm not saying it is worth it to save the $0.20 or $0.05 or whatever they cost. But if you don't have the new one available, feel free to use the old one without getting yourself into a tizzy. If it leaks, you need a new one.