S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission fine one night, bad next start?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How would skipping gears affect anything????
Old 08-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by UGotsTaBTrippin,Aug 19 2008, 02:36 PM
How would skipping gears affect anything????
Skipping gears on upshift has been known to temporarily lock out certain gears (5th and 6th mostly) and making notchiness
Old 08-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^skipping gears just makes the synchros work harder, as they have to drag the rpms down from a higher-than-normal rpm to match the new gear. I skipped gears frequently in my 2000 and never had synchro problems. Actually, the transmission was smoother in my 2000 when I sold it than my brand new '08.

I think Interhat should look for symptoms of a clutch that doesn't fully disengage (as suggested by others), especially with his comment about reverse.

Try this - after sitting one night on a perfectly level spot, start the car the next morning and keep the clutch to the floor and hold it there, and then play with the shifter. Slowly push it into first and feel for any "extra" resistance. Also check to see if the car has ANY tendency to move while you are applying pressure to the shifter. Try shifting into reverse while the clutch is still on the floor. Mine would actually cause the car to creep forward even though the clutch pedal was on the floor and sometimes was nearly impossible to put into reverse (no synchros on reverse). In my case it turned out to be a rusted spline shaft in the tranny and the clutch disk would not freely slide on it - it stayed close enough to the flywheel that it coupled some rotation to the main shaft even when the clutch pedal was fully depressed.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

modifry Posted on Aug 20 2008, 05:01 AM
Mine would actually cause the car to creep forward even though the clutch pedal was on the floor and sometimes was nearly impossible to put into reverse
(no synchros on reverse).
This is reverse gear, and its synchro

Other than that with what you said.
If the trans input shaft looks as bone dry like this....

.... you might have problems shifting.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Well, I just recently had MY AP1 trans oil changed at a dealer and it made it a little smoother but still not the same. Not shifting smoothly and still if i go WOT in 1st gear and put the clutch in, its like something around the trans area is shaking like something isnt secure as the rpms desend. I'm thinking about taking it to the same place I once had a clutch put in. to have them look at it...hope its nothing serious. I talked to one guy there and he said it could be a linkage problem...sorry to sound nubish but wut does that mean?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:24 PM

Anybody?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K_Performance,Aug 27 2008, 12:31 AM
Well, I just recently had MY AP1 trans oil changed at a dealer and it made it a little smoother but still not the same. Not shifting smoothly and still if i go WOT in 1st gear and put the clutch in, its like something around the trans area is shaking like something isnt secure as the rpms desend. I'm thinking about taking it to the same place I once had a clutch put in. to have them look at it...hope its nothing serious. I talked to one guy there and he said it could be a linkage problem...sorry to sound nubish but wut does that mean?
The only "linkage" I can think of in relation to a transmission is the shift linkage. Unfortunately, there is no linkage between the shifter and transmission; it's direct. Might want to ask your mechanic what "linkage" he's talking about.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:26 PM

did you ever fix the problem? mine has the same symptoms now... I have replaced everything and its still doing it!!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. I replaced the transmission, clutch, and all hydraulics and that mostly took care of it but the new transmission has a notchier feel than the old one did when it was "good" so I'm kind of lost. It may just be the way this transmission is.

I'm going to need something more practical come spring anyway so I'm either trading it in or selling it and leasing something. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM

dang that sucks! I was going to replace my tranny but if it wont help then Hmmm.. Did you get another Ap1 tranny or go with Ap2?

Quick Reply: Transmission fine one night, bad next start?