S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission fine one night, bad next start?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haven't been skipping ears have you? (2 to 4, 1 to 3, or 4 to 6)
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 PM

Try adjusting your clutch pedal.. there is a very small chance that it isn't fully disengaged and you are feeling the synchronizer. It's a long shot, but a possibility.

The shifter can be very touchy.. especially if the car was babied and not broken in properly (put through its paces to ensure proper wear of all engine/tranny internals).

I beat the hell out of my S (namely the tranny) daily and it still feels like the day I bought it! Don't be afraid to give it a little tough love.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by S2krazy2,Aug 19 2008, 12:20 AM
Try adjusting your clutch pedal.. there is a very small chance that it isn't fully disengaged and you are feeling the synchronizer. It's a long shot, but a possibility.

The shifter can be very touchy.. especially if the car was babied and not broken in properly (put through its paces to ensure proper wear of all engine/tranny internals).

I beat the hell out of my S (namely the tranny) daily and it still feels like the day I bought it! Don't be afraid to give it a little tough love.
I thought maybe clutch not disengaging correctly. I know my 00-01 had a notchy different feel than my 02, and my 03 shifts smooth. If you changed all the fluids, check else where for other fixes, clutch, synchros, etc.. good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 18 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm confident the Honda MTF fluid shears quickly (evidenced in several BITOG threads) and leads to premature wear of the synchros...use a premium gear oil which is much more resistant to shear and you likely won't have any issues...try Motul Gear 300!

people need to break out of the "honda is god, they don't make mistakes" mentality here...like any Japanese manufacturer, they do cut corners
That is a little extreme don't you think, is there any concrete proof that mtf where's out synchro's faster than any other trans fluid?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't skip gears and if I do, I clutch out in neutral and match revs. I've only really started doing that since the problem started anyway. Normally the only time I don't hit gears in sequence is when I come up to a redlight and go from 5th or 6th to neutral at a stop and then back into first when the light changes.

I'm not one of those dudes who tears out in 2nd to redline then shifts into 6th... I hit 3rd, 4th, 5th before going into 6th so the trans can synchronize.

Only time I messed up shifting, I went from 5th to 4th instead of 6th... but it was at low enough rpms(3-4kish) and it just made the tires chirp a little. That was when I first got the car and wasn't used to the gates.

Only mod I have is PRM intake and I'm pretty sure it gives me less low-end torque lol so I'm not shredding the gearbox with power or anything. I'll try adjusting the clutch freeplay this weekend.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by InterHat,Aug 19 2008, 09:09 AM
I don't skip gears and if I do, I clutch out in neutral and match revs. I've only really started doing that since the problem started anyway. Normally the only time I don't hit gears in sequence is when I come up to a redlight and go from 5th or 6th to neutral at a stop and then back into first when the light changes.

I'm not one of those dudes who tears out in 2nd to redline then shifts into 6th... I hit 3rd, 4th, 5th before going into 6th so the trans can synchronize.

Only time I messed up shifting, I went from 5th to 4th instead of 6th... but it was at low enough rpms(3-4kish) and it just made the tires chirp a little. That was when I first got the car and wasn't used to the gates.

Only mod I have is PRM intake and I'm pretty sure it gives me less low-end torque lol so I'm not shredding the gearbox with power or anything. I'll try adjusting the clutch freeplay this weekend.
You chirped tires from 5th to 4th downshifting? I don't think I have ever done that or if I even could trying.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=Jay2000,Aug 19 2008, 10:33 AM] You chirped tires from 5th to 4th downshifting?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It chirped because of the engine braking drag and bald rear all-season tires... not because I was putting any power down lol. I was just driving along and shifted from 5th to 4th (instead of 6th) and wasn't giving it much gas. I let out the clutch and "ERRRP!" It scared the crap out of me so I put the clutch back in and corrected my mistake.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=S2krazy2,Aug 19 2008, 01:55 PM] I HAVE!!!
Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Just read through this thread an can honestly say that i have encountered the same thing with the way i park, Although my first issue with parking on my drive way with the front end facing up was in my Land Rover and this suffered with stiff second gear but fine if i park it any other way e.g on the flat or reversed up, An i also have the same issues with my s2k.

Looking into it the only explanation was that while the car is facing up hill the front of the gear box is starved with oil as we all know most gear boxes are spalsh lubricated, the oil must run off the synchro down either the selector fork, selector rod or just drip off,

Since i have been parking in another place i have had no problems what so ever.

Quick Reply: Transmission fine one night, bad next start?