S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Concern

Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regreased the shifter, the notchy grab has been reduced by maybe 80%. I'm going to try and attempt to do the tranny and clutch tomorrow and between the two I'm sure that the problem will be solved.

I was doing some reading awhile back about when cruising at a very slow speed (1-4 mph) and changing gears, there is a slam noise coming from the rear of the car. Anybody have any idea what could be going on with that? I'm overdue for a diff fluid change now, Honda didn't have any washers to replace in stock but they get here Tuesday. So that will be changed next weekend. Could that be the culprit?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,639 Posts

You are off to a good start by getting that much reduction from one adjustment, if you do the other stuff you should be pretty happy.

I recommend you check underdash at the clutch rod to make sure there isn't any fluid leaking, good to check at that mileage to be sure. Checking the clutch rod clearance is another good thing to check as it affects the timing of your shifts and can lead to smoother shifting if the clearance is currently too large.

That noise you refer to is coming from the transmission, it is pretty normal for the circumstances you describe. Are you upshifting at those speeds or downshifting ?. This tranny works best at higher rpm shifts. If the noise happens when downshifting you can reduce it by doing a double clutch procedure and giving the gas pedal a good stab while doing the double clutch.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

This is the same noise as when you're sitting there idling in neutral with the clutch up. Then you put it into first fairly quickly and get a clunk. It's the same thing. Explanations for this has been given ad nauseum. Won't repeat it here.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had same problem shifting into the 2nd gear. I changed transmission oil and no more problem.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 AM

It stormed and poured all day yesterday, hoping to get the rest of the work done in the week.

Appreciate the comments guys
Old 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by niick
It stormed and poured all day yesterday, hoping to get the rest of the work done in the week.

Appreciate the comments guys
Let me know how that regrease goes, I've changed my master/slave, bled with DOT4 ATE SB, as well as fresh MTF II and I still have these problems. I have not, however, done the regresed shifter.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could also be rusted spline on transmission input shaft not allowing clutch disk to slide properly and causing notchy shifts. Mine was notchy due to this and eventually lead me to have to rebuild my transmission. When you reassemble the clutch make sure to clean and regrease (with super high temp urea grease) input spline of the transmission that the clutch disk rides on so that it slides freely back and forth on it.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ronnuke
Could also be rusted spline on transmission output shaft not allowing clutch disk to slide properly and causing notchy shifts. Mine was notchy due to this and eventually lead me to have to rebuild my transmission. When you reassemble the clutch make sure to clean and regrease (with super high temp urea grease) output spline of the transmission that the clutch disk rides on so that it slides freely back and forth on it.
I hope this isn't what I have. I don't think it is though, same for OP. In theory this would make all gear shifts crunchy correct? I have 101000 miles on the original clutch.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeKleinCalabrese
I hope this isn't what I have. I don't think it is though, same for OP. In theory this would make all gear shifts crunchy correct? I have 101000 miles on the original clutch.
The input shaft splines on ALL S2000 trannies are rusted. I took mine out at around 30K and it was badly rusted. It's normal and not normally a problem. Only in severe cases would this rust create a problem. The clutch is one of the most operator used parts on this car. The rust gets scraped off in places that can become a problem. It can contribute to a problem but only in extreme cases would it cause a problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper
The input shaft splines on ALL S2000 trannies are rusted.
Well... I know mine are not
Because I took the time to clean and regrease them during a clutch installation - as mentioned in the manual.
Actually, not long before that the disk and PP were changed by a Honda dealer, we're talking 2005 IIRC.
After that I was not impressed by the way it shifted.
Simply becuase they did not follow the manual.
Up until today (2013 ) my shifts are smooth.

Sure, the disk only has to be able to move a little bit to break free from the FW during shifts.
The easier the better though.

IMO, things to have to get smooth shifts are:
#1 - clutch hydraulics - including push rod and pedal play - have to be 100% and without trapped air.
#2 - shifting technique.
#2 - no rusted splines.
#3 - good oil and greased shifter.

Yes, I used #2 twice, as in: equally important.

Quick Reply: Transmission Concern