S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission Clunk when letting go of clutch

Old 03-04-2010, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same things happen to me when i'm reversing and feathering the clutch. Everytime I let off.. clunk. As previously stated this car makes a shit load of noises.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope that's normal. Never feel any issues any other time or anything so not really worried. I don't remember it with my last diff so I think it is probably a diff thing not trans. Could be wrong. When the diff was out I could turn it and hear it like bang when engaging I guess. But even my 4.77 diff did that and didn't notice it when driving.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, my clutch has gotten rather squeaky lately but it still feels as good as the first time I drove it 53K miles ago.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Isn't squeaky clutch just from needing to be lubed a little bit? I hope so. Mine squeaks as well and I just put a vortech kit on.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This almost sounds like Backlash in the Differential. For any gear set to operate properly there is a "certain" amount of backlash needed so the gears dont bind.

foot on gas: pinion drives ring
foot off gas (clutch in or out): ring drives pinion

This is when the backlash becomes most noticeable as clunk. In first gear just push the gas and let off, you will feel a jerk as the gear set goes from drive side to coast side. compare that noise/feeling to the one you are describing.

You should be able to ease the clunk with a longer transition on the clutch....my 2 cents. I don't know how the throttle blip would help unless it is doing something to the syncros and easing the shift.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:43 PM

i just checked some things under the car today and found out that the passenger side axle has just a bit more play and the driver side axle had pretty much no play, and i did that test where you put the car in gear and spin the rear wheels, they spin in opposite directions and same speed so that sounds like its good, but when i tried putting it in neutral, when i spun one wheel it did not spin the other, and when i use the driveshaft to spin the wheel while in neutral, the passenger side wheel spun faster than the drivers side.

i also found out as I rotate the wheel back and forth, it makes that clunk sound when i change directions, so going from reverse to forward "clunk" then forward to reverse "clunk", im guessing its the same sound when the clutch engages.

I went under the car and heard that sound mainly from the driveshaft and when i was under the transmission i had my friend rotate my wheel and it sounded like it came from the transmission too but it could be just because its connected to the driveshaft.

another thing i noticed is when i knocked on the driveshaft, it made that clunk sound, but when i rotated the driveshaft 180 degrees around, it did not make the sound. there is a specific point on the shaft that makes the sound which makes me think that something is broken inside the shaft?

can anyone give me some input on this? thank you
Old 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM

i think ive read somewhere where the driveshaft is actually called the propeller shaft? anyways im refering to the long black pipe from the transmission to the diff when i say driveshaft.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:34 AM

I have a similar clunking sound on my 240 track car with an S15 helical diff installed. But the clunking noise happens when depressing the clutch after being in reverse. I suspect it's a backlash issue in the diff.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM

any other input?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM

i have some play in my driveshaft. sometimes i get the clunk, so i just assume it's that.

as for the sque3aky clutch, i greased my shift fork and it fixed my squakiness! and my pedal comes back good!

Quick Reply: Transmission Clunk when letting go of clutch