S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission clunk cured

Old 07-25-2006, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Transmission clunk cured

Just thought I would share this.

I have a 99, S2000 purchased about 6 months ago with only 23,000 miles on the clock - nice clean car. Then this horrid clunk developed especially when pulling away and turning right. It came from the rear offside, I looked but couldn't find anything. Thoughts turned to replacing the LSD or other transmission bits! So I took it into the local Honda dealer (Johnsons Honda, Milton Keynes, UK) for them to look at. The technician came out for a drive, very easy to reproduce. They took it into the workshop to see what they could see. About 15 minutes later came out - fixed!

Turns out all it needed was a bit of lubrication on the hub drive shaft, cost about
Old 07-25-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=noizyboyz,Jul 25 2006, 09:47 AM] Turns out all it needed was a bit of lubrication on the hub drive shaft, cost about
Old 07-25-2006, 06:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A 99 S2K? Don't you mean a MY2000?

Warren
Old 07-25-2006, 06:41 PM

Some overseas markets like UK and Australia actually had a MY1999. At least they were registered as such.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 AM

Yep definately registered in 1999!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Jul 25 2006, 11:55 AM
At least in N. America, Honda has had a Techical Service Bulletin on this for years now. It involves not only greasing that hub nut area but increasing the torque to 221.
Not to question your wealth of knowledge and experience, but are you sure about this being a TSB across North America?

When I went to the dealer yesterday, apparently I gave the "US" TSB # for this, and the service consultant couldn't find it in the system. She called some guy then who did some other searches and determined there were NO TSBs for my in Canada.

I don't believe them which is why I made that other thread about that event. XV do you know what the Canadian code for this is?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Jul 26 2006, 11:16 PM
Not to question your wealth of knowledge and experience, but are you sure about this being a TSB across North America?

When I went to the dealer yesterday, apparently I gave the "US" TSB # for this, and the service consultant couldn't find it in the system. She called some guy then who did some other searches and determined there were NO TSBs for my in Canada.

I don't believe them which is why I made that other thread about that event. XV do you know what the Canadian code for this is?
I don't know this as "god given fact", just that most recalls, bulletins and memos apply across the border. However, having said this, I also must admit that Honda USA never got the Canadian internal memo dealing with using Honda Motorcylce hypoid gear oil for the rear diffs. As far as I know, our US counterparts still do not have an "official" statement as to what exactly they should use in their rear diffs.

It would seem that it's your dealer (and ultimately your) downfall if they don't do the hub nut procedure for you, as this would entail replacing the wheel bearing and CVs at some point in the future due to their lack of internal information. It won't be hard to prove that negligence on their part to refuse doing this work would result in failure of those other parts. If the US felt the need to do this work when called upon because they want to avert future costly repairs, it would be easy to press Honda Canada to live up to that responsibility later.

As far as the hub nut thing goes, this is an easily accomplished task from home, should you be concerned about it.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:22 AM

can some one direct me to a how to on fixing the axel nuts??

thanks
Old 07-29-2006, 07:23 AM

I've just gotten word back from a friend who's a Honda tech near me. He cannot find any documentation from Honda Canada that relates to this hubnut and new torque thing. He is quite disappointed that Honda Canada is so remiss. It may come back to bite them in the ass when S2000s come back for blown wheel bearings and possibly faulty CV joints. I guess it's only the USA part of N. Am. that has this thru the dealerships.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Evo_kid,Jul 29 2006, 02:22 AM
can some one direct me to a how to on fixing the axel nuts??

thanks
There is no "formal" DIY posted on here. I've seen someone post some pics up and take about it but it was never stickied in the FAQs.
See that brassy colored nut on the axle? This is the rear only. You can just pry off the center cap of your rim and leave the wheel/tire on the car, but jack up the car slightly just to take most of the weight off the tire. Apply the ebrake, leave it in gear and chock the opposite tire for safety.

On that nut is a collar and on that collar is an indentation ("stake"). You unstake it using a sturdy screwdriver of the appropriate size by pounding it into the underside of the stake. This will allow the nut to turn. You'll need a very large socket (36mm) and at least a 1/2" drive breaker bar and torque wrench that will cover 221 lb/ft.
Take the nut off and the giant washer you'll find under it. Apply a good axle grease sparingly to all the surfaces you see that contact the washer and nut. Put the washer back on, put the nut back on and torque it to 221. Re-stake the collar. It should be slightly beyond the original staking.

Quick Reply: Transmission clunk cured