S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission is acting funny... Please HELP

Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is acting funny... Please HELP

Hey guys I am having issues with my transmission. There are a combination of symptoms and I really would like to know what you guys think, if anyone has had these issues and how they dealt with it, where they took it etc... I purchased this car about 3 months ago and I didn't catch these issues when I bought it. Now I've never driven other S2000's But I Know how a healthy transmission should shift. I also know that part of the joy of S2000 is it's gearbox and these issues while livable, are really dampening the experience.
I've got three different symptoms and it's possible that they are not related:
1) when I put the gear in 1st in a stopped position, it gives the car a Jolt. (not all the time)
2) My 3rd gear is not smooth. When I go into third it feels like it first hits a moving object and then goes in. (also 4th to a lesser extent)
3) Sometimes it is hard to find the reverse gear. I will put the car in reverse and think that it is in but when I try to accelerate you hear a grinding noise.

To be honest with you I can live with the reverse thing but what I can't live with is the 3rd and 4th gears. Please help me if you have experience with this...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joey2K
Hey guys I am having issues with my transmission. There are a combination of symptoms and I really would like to know what you guys think, if anyone has had these issues and how they dealt with it, where they took it etc... I purchased this car about 3 months ago and I didn't catch these issues when I bought it. Now I've never driven other S2000's But I Know how a healthy transmission should shift. I also know that part of the joy of S2000 is it's gearbox and these issues while livable, are really dampening the experience.
1) when I put the gear in 1st in a stopped position, it gives the car a Jolt. (not all the time)
2) My 3rd gear is not smooth. When I go into third it feels like it first hits a moving object and then goes in. (also 4th to a lesser extent)
3) Sometimes it is hard to find the reverse gear. I will put the car in reverse and think that it is in but when I try to accelerate you hear a grinding noise.

To be honest with you I can live with the reverse thing but what I can't live with is the 3rd and 4th gears. Please help me if you have experience with this...
What year is your S, and how many miles are on it? Has the transmission ever been serviced?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try changing fluids. Clutch and transmission fluids. Buy them at the Honda dealership. Then adjust the clutch so that there is no EXCESSIVE play. Just leave the master cylinder slack. See if that works.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1 2 and 3 are normal to a degree. If it is hard to get in to reverse, you can reset the gears by shifting to 4th gear, then in to reverse. New fluid is definitely going to help with all problems. You want to wait till the next gear "catches" before dropping it all the way in to gear. Don't ever force it in to gear, guide it and let it slide in.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Murphg05
Originally Posted by Joey2K' timestamp='1368154288' post='22532401

What year is your S, and how many miles are on it? Has the transmission ever been serviced?
its a 2006 with 48K miles on it. I did have the oil changed like a month ago because there was a leak. I got that fixed but it didnt help with the issues above.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kmelthratter
1 2 and 3 are normal to a degree. If it is hard to get in to reverse, you can reset the gears by shifting to 4th gear, then in to reverse. New fluid is definitely going to help with all problems. You want to wait till the next gear "catches" before dropping it all the way in to gear. Don't ever force it in to gear, guide it and let it slide in.
thats really good advice about the reverse I will use it in the meantime.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by stupkid
Try changing fluids. Clutch and transmission fluids. Buy them at the Honda dealership. Then adjust the clutch so that there is no EXCESSIVE play. Just leave the master cylinder slack. See if that works.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
thanks for the input, I have already changed the transmission fluid though, but that has not stopped the problems. I'm not quite sure what the master cylinder slack is but I'll do some research tomorrow when i get a chance.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^ here is something to try for you

I know you have these symptoms when the car is running, what about when the car is off? Is it easy to find reverse then? is 3rd and 4th gear more normal? Obviously the car shouldnt jolt forward in 1st

To me it sounds more like a clutch master cylinder with air in it (Or dirty fluid in the system or low fluid even) then anything transmission wise. Air or a dirty clutch master cylinder doesnt allow the pressure plate to fully disengage. This could make similar symptoms to what you are experiencing.

check these things, the Clutch master cylinder is located under the hood next to the brake master cylinder and is quite a bit smaller. There are a lot of DIY threads on this site dealing with bleeding/cleaning the fluid in the master cylinder.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by El S2000
^ here is something to try for you

I know you have these symptoms when the car is running, what about when the car is off? Is it easy to find reverse then? is 3rd and 4th gear more normal? Obviously the car shouldnt jolt forward in 1st

To me it sounds more like a clutch master cylinder with air in it (Or dirty fluid in the system or low fluid even) then anything transmission wise. Air or a dirty clutch master cylinder doesnt allow the pressure plate to fully disengage. This could make similar symptoms to what you are experiencing.

check these things, the Clutch master cylinder is located under the hood next to the brake master cylinder and is quite a bit smaller. There are a lot of DIY threads on this site dealing with bleeding/cleaning the fluid in the master cylinder.
thank you this is great information, I will check all of the above. The only other thing is if none of this helps, then I will have to decide whether I should take it to a shop so they would open the transmission up or just buy a transmission and replace it.(i don't know if my issue justifies such a move)
PS: I've done some research and if the problem is from inside the transmission, my guess would be that the synchronizer for the third gear is worn, but its just an uneducated guess.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM

My car also sometimes gives a little clunk when I put it in 1st gear, thought this was one of those "normal" things for our cars.

Quick Reply: Transmission is acting funny... Please HELP