S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission

Old 12-22-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission

I've noticed lately, 2nd gear is really rough to get into. Also getting into reverse is a little hard. Actually most of the gears don't feel smooth at all but 2nd gear is what really bothers me. I have changed my oil/tranny/diff and cleaned/greased the shifter. I was wondering if it would do something with my clutch? The fluids are kind of low, I will be doing a clutch fluid flush this Tuesday. There is no grinding noise but have had a couple popouts but I think that's due to my clutch fluid being low therefore I'm not engaging the clutch correctly..

I'm scared that my tranny is going bad ...Also I'm not sure if it's common but I can hear the gears make a knock noise when I shift. Not really a "knock" noise but you can hear the gears make this noise when shifting..

Please help me

EDIT: I wonder if I didn't grease the shifter right..
Old 12-22-2011, 11:48 PM

Old 12-23-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally issues with popping out of gear are to do with bent shift forks (meaning a transmission teardown/rebuild). How many miles are on your s2k and what year is it? Do you "power shift" a lot or mostly just casual cruising around? I would definitely start with flushing the clutch fluid before going any further. The fact that you say the clutch fluid is low makes me suspect a leak because the fluid level shouldn't really drop, it should just darken a little over time.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by NFRAP2
Generally issues with popping out of gear are to do with bent shift forks (meaning a transmission teardown/rebuild). How many miles are on your s2k and what year is it? Do you "power shift" a lot or mostly just casual cruising around? I would definitely start with flushing the clutch fluid before going any further. The fact that you say the clutch fluid is low makes me suspect a leak because the fluid level shouldn't really drop, it should just darken a little over time.
It has 71k, no I don't drive it hard. Im hoping changing the fluid will help. If there is a leak, where would I see it? I don't see anything in the engine bay or on the ground.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SoREALemjay
Originally Posted by NFRAP2' timestamp='1324655394' post='21259043
It has 71k, no I don't drive it hard. Im hoping changing the fluid will help. If there is a leak, where would I see it? I don't see anything in the engine bay or on the ground.
The most likely leak would be at the slave cylinder. Just start at the master cylinder and trace the path to the slave, the clutch hydraulic system is pretty simple.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:46 PM

if it was your clutch master it would be all the gears
Old 12-23-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

change the fluid in the master cylinder and clean out any dark deposits in the reservoir, sometimes that can stop a small leak if it has contaminated fluid in it. My car had a small leak when I first got it, the fluid and reservoir were really dirty, it hasn't leaked a drop in 2 years since cleaning and swapping fluid.

Also check your clutch rod and see if it needs adjustment, extending the clutch rod can help improve shifting if there is too much clearance in it's current state. I got rid of all my notchiness with the fluid change and clutch rod adjustment.

I would have recommended tranny fluid change with Honda MTF and a shifter re-lube but it sounds like you're on top of that.