S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transmission

Old 05-29-2014, 04:17 PM

Location: Clayton (70/42) and Raleigh (Chapel Hill Rd) weekends mostly*
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

Ok so I will start from the beginning. From the day I bought by car from a second owner with 54xxx miles on it I have felt like there have been some 2nd gear synchro issues, every once in a while I'd get the crunch going first to second. Besides that. clutch cylinder got low once, I bled it and refilled, until now no problems. So the other day I'm heading to a friends house, I let the car warm up for 20 mins before I left. rode about 10 miles then when getting onto the highway I decided to get on it. Gave it everything in first when I shifted to second clutch pedal went slack, heard a pop. I put it into neutral and rolled to a stop and it sounded like I had a bolt bouncing around in my transmission. So obviously by clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder failed on me. I've got the transmission out now, to investigate the "bolt bouncing around sound" throw out bearing seems to be fine, nothing seems to be loose or floating around in the bell housing...My next step would be to carry the transmission somewhere and have it checked out. I wouldn't dare taking that thing apart on my own. Any thoughts?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dlc2k04
Ok so I will start from the beginning. From the day I bought by car from a second owner with 54xxx miles on it I have felt like there have been some 2nd gear synchro issues, every once in a while I'd get the crunch going first to second. Besides that. clutch cylinder got low once, I bled it and refilled, until now no problems. So the other day I'm heading to a friends house, I let the car warm up for 20 mins before I left. rode about 10 miles then when getting onto the highway I decided to get on it. Gave it everything in first when I shifted to second clutch pedal went slack, heard a pop. I put it into neutral and rolled to a stop and it sounded like I had a bolt bouncing around in my transmission. So obviously by clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder failed on me. I've got the transmission out now, to investigate the "bolt bouncing around sound" throw out bearing seems to be fine, nothing seems to be loose or floating around in the bell housing...My next step would be to carry the transmission somewhere and have it checked out. I wouldn't dare taking that thing apart on my own. Any thoughts?
In my case it was cheaper and less risk to buy a replacement salvage yard transmission which has worked out very well. The price of skilled labor and parts is high enough that a repair, even if you can find the right shop, is an expensive proposition. Either route has some risk.