S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Transaxle - no S content

Old 05-03-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transaxle - no S content

Sorry for the no S content, but I am hoping someone here will have some specialized knowledge that can help me out.

I have a project car that I have been tinkering with for about 4 years now. I just keep improving or changing things so I never actually get it running and out on the street. I have just about decided to make it a dedicated fun track car which will speed up the finish out process.

It has been great fun planning and designing and I have every conceivable part known to man bought and in boxes all around and in the car, but nothing actually installed. I don't even want to tell you what kind of chassis it is as it isn't germane to what I am trying to do and this thread could end up with a different life than what I need.

But first let me say that I am not trying to stay within any class rules so that doesn't have to enter into the equation.

The design and construction has been simply a series of those "wouldn't it be nice" things that happen after few beers or when you are stuck at home and the TV is broken and you have nothing better to do. It has been like the cars you designed in Latin class in high school when you should have been paying attention to the teacher and something I have always wanted to do.

In other words this bastard concoction is simply my own twisted desires and I don't really care what class it falls in or how competitive it is in that class. When it runs I will be vindicated or villified and it will only matter to me, but it will still be fun no matter what and I can die happy.

What I am looking for is a transaxle that has the transmission in front of the diff not behind like the Porsche tranny. The new Covette (sorta)transaxle is geared totally wrong as it is basically a 4 speed with 2 overdrives.

I would love for it to be a 5 speed and the tranny only has to handle 300-350 hp. It will be mated to a 4 cylinder. Cheap would be nice.

Can someone steer me in the right direction?
Old 05-04-2003, 01:41 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

944 or 968 ........ keep in mind, drive shaft will be at engine RPM
Old 05-04-2003, 01:07 PM

I have no problem with a torque tube, but the 944-968 tranny is before the diff?

The only Porsche transaxles I have seen had most of the weight behind the diff.

How much power can they handle?

That's good, they ought to be relatively cheap and plentiful!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

the output shafts come out about the middle of the thing and I think the tranny and diff are kind of intergral so I'm not sure if you can say it's ahead or behind the diff (don't know how the weight is distributed either since I've never have one out)......... you got zero overhang on the rear of this German beast or what?

Don't know about the power handling capabilities but it didn't seem to be a "weak" part of those cars.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:22 PM

I have seen transaxles that basically look like a regular diff with a tranny made into the front of it, but that was way before I ever had the 'urge' to create. Actually seeing these may have been the root of the idea.

I recently saw a Cobra kit with a 351 in the front set further back than normal and a Porsche tranny in the rear. The extra weight in the rear made drag launches better, but was giving them fits on the road course.

I have heard of a couple of those to be built with the Corvetter tranny set up