S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trans Oil

Old 08-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Oil

On the continuing "Oil Saga"! Based on input from S2ki, I needed to change all the fluids in my MY05. Built in 10/04 and bought new by me in 3/06. it had 16 miles on it when I bought it and now has 3000 miles on it.. The feeling of the group who responsed, was it needed to be changed based on the time element. I'm old school and agree.
I am a big fan of Syn lubes for their tendency to protect much longer and hold up better to higher tempertures. I have stuck with dino oil (Valvoline MaxLife) for the engine until 10,000 miles when I will switch to "Syn". My love for Harleys brought me to Amsoil. The use of Amsoil alone reduced my engine oil temp by almost 15 degrees. Very impresive!. I owe this to reduced friction and is seen in much reduced scaring during the 4 ball testing. Based on this, I have become an Amsoil fan. I will defer to Road Rage on the technical aspects before I talk over my head.
Anyway, based on my fluid change. I have changed the Rear Diff with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90. The gear lube was dirty with a lot of crud (technical term). Seems fine, time will tell.
The Trans received Amsoil Manual Snychromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30. The results were very good. Originally, my 1-2 shift was very notchy and if shifted quickly when cold, you would receive a nice crunch, telling you to slow your shifting down until it's warm. I wouldn't call it a full grind. When warm everything is OK. With the new Amsoil. Cold is smoother, warm is pure greatness. I suggest some of you try and let the group know your impression.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:53 AM

I swear by amsoil. I'm an amsoil dealer purely for the discount and I've been running amsoil lubes in my s for about 20,000 miles and my bike for about 5000. no other lube touches my rides.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 AM

it's about time to change mine.

was looking at amsoil too, heard nothing but great things about them.
Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 PM

I switched to Amsoil in the diff and tranny from LE607 and GMFriction Modified and couldnt be happier. With the GMFM, the 2nd gear grind went away, but returned in 8K miles. With the Amsoil, I have never heard it grind since,(15K ago). The car just feels mechanically happier. I belive that is a buttdyno term.

Very impressed all the way around.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ebeldesign,Aug 5 2006, 06:21 PM
I switched to Amsoil in the diff and tranny from LE607 and GMFriction Modified and couldnt be happier. With the GMFM, the 2nd gear grind went away, but returned in 8K miles. With the Amsoil, I have never heard it grind since,(15K ago). The car just feels mechanically happier. I belive that is a buttdyno term.

Very impressed all the way around.
what wight amsoil did you use in the trans?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:33 PM

I know this isnt a very responsible answer, but I do not know. I had the diff and tranny fluid changed at Spugen in Whittier, California. I just checked the receipt and it just says Amsoil synthetic on it. sorry bout the lack of good info.

If you contact them, I am sure they can answer the question for you. They are a site sponsor and you will see their banner pop up.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:13 PM

Manual Transmission,.....GLS[1]
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid
Differential, Rear .....GL-5
Severe Gear 75W-90
SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube
SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

thats from the application guide on their site. .. which brings a question to mind. .. which diff fluid is everyone using? i'd assume severe gear would be better.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:47 AM

Use the Severe Gear it has shock properties the other Amsoil gear oils don't have. Apparently the rear diff has been blowing up on AP1s from side stepping the clutch and quick shifts. Honda addressed it by installing the Clutch Delay Valve starting on '04 to present to slow the clutch engagement down on starting line and quick shifts. Personnally, I don't like the Delay Valve. On quick 1-2 or 2-3 shifts it makes it feel like your clutch is slipping or you don't know how to drive! I'll do the Delay Valve mod this week. I'll deal with any problems accordingly.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 AM

I used the Severe Gear 75W-90
Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 PM

i removed my delay valve but im afraid it had already done some damage. i have to really try not to slip the clutch on fast 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

which is pretty strange. .the clutch can take a 6000-7000 rpm launch no problem. it seems that if its hot outside and the car's been running a while it tends to slip some. i started thinking there may be some air in the lines. .but the clutch operates fine, so i'm not sure what to do.

im just about due for a fluid change in the diff and tranny tho, looks like amsoil is going to be the choice.

Quick Reply: Trans Oil