S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Trans/Clutch Noise

Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans/Clutch Noise

I've searched all over the forums here and others as well and I'm just not finding a conclusive answer to my problem. I'd rather have a general idea of what this problem really is before I pay a shop to rip my car apart and find out.

I recently purchased a 2002 Sebring Silver S2k from another member of the board. It's an awesome car and in great shape, I just have a slight concern with some noise coming from the clutch/trans area. My best description of the noise is when I'm rolling in gear there is a high pitched whine that reminds me of when you roll quickly in a car in reverse. I can make the noise go away by pressing the gas pedal. There are other extremely faint noises coming from the same general area under power, but aren't anything that actually concern me. Research has led me to two things, one would be that it's just clutch noise because of the "054" clutch with the fix being a replacement to a "055" clutch. The other thing I've read is a bad Pilot or throwout bearing. There is also a rotational noise that I believe is related when rolling out of gear.

I'm under the impression this is a common problem so I'm hoping that someone will read this and know what I'm talking about from personal experience. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:17 PM

anyone?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM

your discription all though not BAD, is very hard to pin point issues with. the s2k makes a LOT of noise all over (at least my MY00 does) and although whinning in the pumpkin is a bad thing, for all we know it is common noise. I remember thinking holy sh*t this thing is gonna explode when i first revved it out. Keep us posted on any development with the noises
Old 04-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by TougeS2k
your discription all though not BAD, is very hard to pin point issues with. the s2k makes a LOT of noise all over (at least my MY00 does) and although whinning in the pumpkin is a bad thing, for all we know it is common noise. I remember thinking holy sh*t this thing is gonna explode when i first revved it out. Keep us posted on any development with the noises

I completely understand what you mean. With the trans RIGHT next to you it's going to be a little noisy. I have drove a few S2k's over the years this is just the first one I've owned and used as a daily. I'm fairly certain that the rotational noise I'm hearing has to be related to the faulty OEM clutch. It just sounds terrible but if you really focus on the noise it sounds like the pressure plate is moving around when the clutch is engaged or when it has no load. I'm starting to think that maybe the Pilot bearing could be going out just because of how much it does sound like the pressure plate is allowed to move. The car still shifts totally smooth and the clutch is strong, it's just extremely noisy.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bearings might need replacing. Had all mine replaced and it did quiet the tranny down quite a bit, but not completely silent.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by B0neSt0ck
The bearings might need replacing. Had all mine replaced and it did quiet the tranny down quite a bit, but not completely silent.
I'll probably replace them all when I swap the clutch. thanks for the heads up