S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tranny whine?

Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny whine?

Ok. I searched and found a few things that don't fit my condition. I figure it is just going to be normal like my last car and transmission but thought I would ask anyway.

The car for the longest time (5000 miles) has made a small whiney sound (like me) at the transmission tunnel. The sound was light and not really annoying as long as the stereo was going (so I couldn't hear the wife) or the top was down. I just had the clutch replaced with a ACT HD with the street performance disk and a comptech flywheel. Everything shifts solid and is very responsive (almost too much). The sound emanates from the same location but is just a little louder with the new clutch in place (like the neighbors dog with a cat up a tree). The sound is there only when cruising in any gear. If I increase speed or decrease speed the noise stops till I go back into cruise with the gas. So there is the scoop input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you certain it's the transmission and not the differential?
Old 04-18-2005, 12:53 PM

The sound to the best of my knowledge comes from next to me not from behind me. I would think that the diff would echo in that hollow spot behind your head when the top is up. However you never know but the sound is for sure coming up from the tunnel. The car really has done it since I got it and just got as little louder with the clutch install.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:06 PM

yeah so hard to say as the two sounds can be so close. I know that my gear whine sounds like it's coming from just about right next to me, maybe slightly behind where the secret compartment is. it varies.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:26 PM

Hm. Thanks for the time. Probably just need to wait and see if it gets any louder or clunks or something. The car drives fine, runs strong, and nothing goes bump along the way. Just a little extra noise. I will see where it goes from here. If it isn't broken don't fix it. :-)
Old 04-18-2005, 02:41 PM

Yeah I wish I could be of more help. but if you hear any clicking or crunching of any kind, then it's serious!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suspect your differential. Get the car onto a hoist and idle it in second gear. Take a long handled screwdriver and use it as a stethescope ( ie hold the handle against your ear and press the blade onto the rear of the gearbox and differential).You should be able to work out which component is making the noise.

Do this sooner rather than later, as early diff failure will cause a diff whine. If you blow it up you run the risk of damaging the housing and LSD.

Another thing, if the noise increases with road speed independent of the engine revs its in the diff, propshaft or the very last section of the gearbox.

Good luck.

Chris
Old 04-18-2005, 04:58 PM

I have this exact noise! It happens when I am maintaning a constant speed with slight throttle and if i press the gas or let off completely it goes away. I justhad a mugen PP, oem disk, and Toda FW installed. Let me know if you find out what it is.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Touge Freak,Apr 18 2005, 04:58 PM
I have this exact noise! It happens when I am maintaning a constant speed with slight throttle and if i press the gas or let off completely it goes away. I justhad a mugen PP, oem disk, and Toda FW installed. Let me know if you find out what it is.
Same here. Noise is not speed related. Speed up and it goes away. When I'm cruising at 75mph, completely quiet.

From everybody's statement, seems like the differential isn't the culprit.

And I've had this from day 1. So far the car still shifts right, pulls strong.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

i have a whining noise when I let go of gas... i dont know whats causing it but i will be changing my tranny fluid soon hopefully that'll fix the prob.

Quick Reply: Tranny whine?