S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tranny oil frequency

Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny oil frequency

I was watching "VTEC" club and they were interviewing the owner of Spoon. He says that tranny oil should be changed with the engine oil.

Does that seem excessive? I would think he would know more than most if not all honda mechanics, and personally I would trust him more than the engineer himself.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM

No, unless you have a S2k with the GM sychromesh friction modified oil in the tranny. It only lasts for about 5k, IMO. and most good synthetic motor oils will go at least that long. So changing them at the same time makes sense. To me anyway
Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you trust him more than any of the engineers, why are you asking this question of a bunch of "ordinary Joes"? Your mind is made up: you'll be changing the transmission oil with every oil cange.

It's your money: spend it the way the owner of Spoon tells you to!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you dont need to swap the tranny fluid at each oil change, with the exception that you all your miles are done at the track... then maybe... maybe
Old 03-26-2007, 06:35 PM

yeah, i always change the tranny oil when i do the engine oil. for the last 3 times, ive done the diff oil too...why not...its not that much extra work
Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I swap mine every ~15k and I though I was anal about it. Diff gets done twice a year when the temps change.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM

Changing the tranny fluid usually has a placebo effect.

In the olden days we changed plugs and points regularly to ensure we always had peak power, and to give us some manly car stuff to be doing, but with maintenance reduced so much on modern cars guys have found other ways to spend their time and macho money.

There's not a tranny fluid out there that wears out in only 5k miles. I have run my GM synchromesh for close to 30k now with no degradation of service. IT IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS STUFF! and really eliminated all the notchiness of the stock fluids.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy' date='Mar 27 2007, 10:43 AM
There's not a tranny fluid out there that wears out in only 5k miles. I have run my GM synchromesh for close to 30k now with no degradation of service. IT IS ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS STUFF! and really eliminated all the notchiness of the stock fluids.
i'm running GMSMFM, too...15 - 20k miles now. it was perfectly fine for me until the weather warmed up for good in the last few days. every shift feels like there's a slight grind, it's really annoying. even when i shift slow, clutch completely in and wait for the revs to drop to the right amount. i think it's about due for a change (at least, i hope this is because of the fluid!)...i'll probably try that new honda stuff this time. gonna pick up a couple bottles today during lunch.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by S2000GT' date='Mar 26 2007, 06:35 PM
yeah, i always change the tranny oil when i do the engine oil. for the last 3 times, ive done the diff oil too...why not...its not that much extra work
Money would be the issue for me, tranny doesn't suffer as much "abuse" as the engine oil would, therefore I dont think there are a lot of benefits to doing that every 6-7k.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k' date='Mar 26 2007, 06:28 PM
Since you trust him more than any of the engineers, why are you asking this question of a bunch of "ordinary Joes"? Your mind is made up: you'll be changing the transmission oil with every oil cange.

It's your money: spend it the way the owner of Spoon tells you to!
Obviously my mind is made up, Im not asking whether or not I should do it, I am asking for your thoughts. Pay attention.....

Quick Reply: Tranny oil frequency