S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tranny Fluid for the 04

Old 10-13-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606,Oct 13 2004, 12:48 PM

newb
Honda606-

Can you elaborate?

Are you saying that it is BS that the GM Synchromesh will wear out the transmission faster?

I was considering putting the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified in my tranny soon, having heard nothing bad about it (and many people saying it improved their shifting). Is there a drawback I'm not aware of?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not that i'm aware of -

and i think honda606 was questioning KurwaS2000's statement because there has never been a post that stated "stuff should only be used in race engines. It will work good in your tranny but it will help it wear out faster too."

They sell the stuff over the counter at Chevy dealerships i don't think it's race specific nor do i think it will wear out the tranny as stated
Old 10-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i'll be going for the Honda MTF. Can't go wrong with that.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:02 PM

There is a looong thread about this under "under the hood". It was written by roadrage. He basically explained the material compound of the synchromesh FM and agreed that it is a good oil. A lot of people even fixed their grinding by using this oil. Now I would rather take my risk on this oil, than having my tranny grind and screw up my tranny.

Roadrage is a respected oil guru in this forums so I trust him.

A lot of nsx, rsx and civic's fixed their grinds with this oil too. I haven't heard any bad things happening to their trany yet.. so I think its a good choice.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:05 PM

alot of people seem to love the gm stuff, and i am assuming if there was a problem with it we would hear something about it. I ordered some so that i can do a tranny change cause of all the positive stuff people have been saying about it. Also i talked to hardtopguy and he said he uses it and his brother uses it and that it is great and all the grinding you get sometimes will be taken care of.

im gonna try it. As for people saying that it might harm the tranny, could you elaborate on that cause i aint seeing anyone talking bad about this fluid.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all the good work many have put in on researching this topic, it kills me some of the "thought" expressed in this thread - some are just flat-out, dead wrong.

Maybe one "can't go wrong with Honda MTF", but if one were to follow the change intervals suggested by Honda, early tranny wear is a real risk. The UOA of MTF looked bad after 15K in the posts some have made on this Forum. And if the OE fluid cannot be bettered, then any other mods must be out of the question as well, right?

GMS FM is an outstanding product, both in its chemical formulation, and its real-world performance. I would suggest before making a snap decision that one do some reading on the posts made here about that product. It will absolutely not harm the tranny - there is nothing in it that could, and believe me, I do not just throw anything in my car - I do a lot of analysis and often my own lab work before I even consider showing the bottle to my S2000's HID eyeballs. GMSFM has the same friction modifier composition at MTF, but a much better base-stock, made of a blend of quality mineral and synthetic oils. It will outperform and outlast MTF - on the NSX's I service for special clients, I have used it, and the UOA's have looked great.

Honda MTF is a fortified engine oil - that is it. In a high shear environment like a tranny, it breaks down rather quickly. It provides good cold weather performance, and good gas mileage, and is cheap - but nothing special at all. GM's "regular" Synchromesh (GMS) is about the same, and I would not recommend it over MTF. Red Line's MTL is OK, but the GMSFM is better, plus retains the factory amber color.

Finally, the synchros in the 2004 are made of metal, with carbon fiber applied - I do not think they are entirely CF. Someone posted a pic a while back (was it Ultimate Lurker?) and that is how it looked to me.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Oct 14 2004, 05:08 PM
Finally, the synchros in the 2004 are made of metal, with carbon fiber applied - I do not think they are entirely CF. Someone posted a pic a while back (was it Ultimate Lurker?) and that is how it looked to me.
I can't find the link right now but you are correct. The term I've heard tossed around is carbon wrapped....not solid carbon fiber.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Oct 14 2004, 07:08 PM
With all the good work many have put in on researching this topic, it kills me some of the "thought" expressed in this thread - some are just flat-out, dead wrong.

Maybe one "can't go wrong with Honda MTF", but if one were to follow the change intervals suggested by Honda, early tranny wear is a real risk. The UOA of MTF looked bad after 15K in the posts some have made on this Forum. And if the OE fluid cannot be bettered, then any other mods must be out of the question as well, right?

GMS FM is an outstanding product, both in its chemical formulation, and its real-world performance. I would suggest before making a snap decision that one do some reading on the posts made here about that product. It will absolutely not harm the tranny - there is nothing in it that could, and believe me, I do not just throw anything in my car - I do a lot of analysis and often my own lab work before I even consider showing the bottle to my S2000's HID eyeballs. GMSFM has the same friction modifier composition at MTF, but a much better base-stock, made of a blend of quality mineral and synthetic oils. It will outperform and outlast MTF - on the NSX's I service for special clients, I have used it, and the UOA's have looked great.

Honda MTF is a fortified engine oil - that is it. In a high shear environment like a tranny, it breaks down rather quickly. It provides good cold weather performance, and good gas mileage, and is cheap - but nothing special at all. GM's "regular" Synchromesh (GMS) is about the same, and I would not recommend it over MTF. Red Line's MTL is OK, but the GMSFM is better, plus retains the factory amber color.

You convinced me...now where can I get some?

Thanks...
Old 10-14-2004, 04:56 PM
WPS

i read that the tranny oil hardly gets dirty compared to the diff.

i plan on changing my
engine every 3750
diff every 7500
tranny every 15k

reg mobil oil for engine
mobil 1 syn gear for diff
honda mtf for tranny

can you give me any insight if im over changing or under changing anything?
thanks

i thought i read that the gm tranny one wasnt recommended for cold temp. is that right or did i read wrong? maybe im thinking of amasol diff oil
Old 10-14-2004, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoon, just make sure u dont let gm parts talk you into something. The part # u need is 12377916. dont take anything else!

Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid for the 04