S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tranny and clutch noises! (sorry)

Old 12-22-2005, 05:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tranny and clutch noises! (sorry)

Ok I have two distinct noises coming from the tranny area. I didn't notice either of these noises when I purchased the car. I started to notice them the 2nd day I was driving it at which point the car had only 8300 miles on it. The car was not abused by the previous owner.. I was just too giddy to notice the noises I'm sure they were there. the guy was old, he probably couldn't hear them

I have read through every noise thread I can find, but nothing seems to fit.

The 1st is a high pitched whine. It sounds a lot like gear whine from the transmission. It is RPM dependent. Pitch increases with RPMs, but volume does not once it hits about 2.5k rpm (barely hear it below that). It is 100% constant (no oscillation). I can hear it in every gear. If I disengage the clutch, and take it out of gear as well I think the noise disappears immediately but I'm not sure because the RPMs drop to idle faster than I can register if the noise is really dissipating.

I don't know what a bad bearing sounds like, but I don't imagine it would be a high pitched whine..

I was planning to swap the tranny oil to GM synchromesh friction modified last weekend, but I didn't get around to it so I will be doing it this saturday.

The tranny doesn't grind at all. I do have difficulty putting into gears 1-3 when its very cold though.

The second sounds like a hollow ringing/whistle (yea great description). It's not 100% steady but oscillates a little (not uniformally.. a little random). The pitch is not RPM dependent, but it gets louder at higher RPMs. i.e. barely audible at idle, but from 2.5-4k its about the same level.. then I probably just can't hear it due to other noise. I can hear it in every gear, although its louder in 1st-4th. road speed doesn't affect the noise.

At 1st I thought it was coming from the tranny, but when stationary at idle (out of gear), like I said before I can still hear it (albeit very quiet). If I disengage the clutch, after about one second though the noise pretty much vanishes!

With these in mind, I think I the noise has to be coming from a clutch rattle. The car does not have the Clutch TSB done and I get the extreme buzz from the springs on deceleration. I think its also slightly amplified when I get the buzz on deceleration. It makes sense to me since vibration is always traveling through the clutch when it's engaged. When disengaged the noise practically vanishes.

Has anyone experienced the springs making noise while cruising or accelerating with a stock 00-01 clutch?

I suppose this could also be something in the tranny but the fact that it doesn't change with rpms leads me away from this idea.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 AM

I just swapped some gm synchromesh FM in there. It shifts more smoothly, but this did nothing to stop the 'gear whine'.

Also, I can hear the ringing sound when the clutch is disengaged while the car is moving. The only way I can get it to stop is with clutch disengaged and the car stationary at idle.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gear whine is most likely coming from the diff not the tranny. 4.57 gears used to whine until the recent batch was modified to eliminate the whine. could it be the previous owner installed aftermarket gears?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:26 AM

I don't think its the diff because it isn't dependent on road speed, only RPMs. The pitch drops at the start of every gear, and climbs higher as the RPMs go up.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be some chain or belt thats dependent on rpms.. have you tried to listen from which end of the car its coming from?? you positive its the tranny?
Old 12-25-2005, 03:03 PM

The noise doesn't appear, regardless of RPMs, unless the car is moving in gear. I'm pretty sure its coming from the tranny tunnel.