S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tramlining - wobbly handling

Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
A major reason I have seen for tramlining is type of tires combined with road surface... did you change tire size? I know this sounds stupid but think about where and when you have had this problem. Could this problem be new and intermittent because you have new tires on some occasional varied surfaces?

Another issue I have seen is the wrong tires mounted on the wrong wheels... front / rear confused. Too wide a tire in a narrow rim can feel the way you describe your problem.

I know I used to really be prepared for severe tramlining when I had my track tires mounted and drove certain roads with smooth but very uneven surface.
Tires are original sizes, I reverified by looking at the sidewall. I don't know when and were the problem started exactly, I just know it was progressive and tolerable at the beginning and kept getting worse during a week period and it was after replacing the tires in the back and performing an alignment.

My car is an '07 with everything stock (except tires i guess). Is there a way to verify I have the right wheels on the right spot without taking it to the shop? Not that taking it in is a problem, but I would like to verify it myself if possible.

Also, I will post my alignment spec numbers ASAP and thanks again!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1point3_to_2point2
check upper control arms theyre weak
Can I check those by lifting the car or do I have to remove any parts? I assume by checking you mean checking for play in the bushings?
thanks!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt road tracking a common issue with the s2000? Is your car lowered? I have the same issue on the highway, feels as if the car is yes, being pushed by wind or following grooves in the road. Which is why im ordering the t1r anti bump steer kit. Here's Evasive's description on the product;

Do you ever notice how your wheel tugs when driving over un-even roads or at high speeds on a lowered S2000? The angle on the steering tie rod has changed due to the lower ride height from coilovers or lowering springs..etc. The factory has designed the steering system to be optimized at the stock height. It takes very little angle in the wheel to make the car steer. The T1R bumpsteer kit returns the steering tie rod to the more optimal and to create stock-like suspension angle.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by nwp j's2k
Isnt road tracking a common issue with the s2000? Is your car lowered? I have the same issue on the highway, feels as if the car is yes, being pushed by wind or following grooves in the road. Which is why im ordering the t1r anti bump steer kit. Here's Evasive's description on the product;

Do you ever notice how your wheel tugs when driving over un-even roads or at high speeds on a lowered S2000? The angle on the steering tie rod has changed due to the lower ride height from coilovers or lowering springs..etc. The factory has designed the steering system to be optimized at the stock height. It takes very little angle in the wheel to make the car steer. The T1R bumpsteer kit returns the steering tie rod to the more optimal and to create stock-like suspension angle.
Well my car is not lowered and I have experienced it before, but it never felt dangerous, unpredictable, disconnected or loose. It was always planted, but just followed or reacted to ruts and I was able to 'feel' the road. Now it feels as its about to spin or loose control.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ztrujillo
Originally Posted by nwp j's2k' timestamp='1327438715' post='21348410

Well my car is not lowered and I have experienced it before, but it never felt dangerous, unpredictable, disconnected or loose. It was always planted, but just followed or reacted to ruts and I was able to 'feel' the road. Now it feels as its about to spin or loose control.
k cancel that thought then, ill second checking your upper control arms and maybe your tie rods? Its odd that a suspension shop would over look this but then again some mechanics and shops never seize to amaze me with missing things like that.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Just had this problem a few months ago... I bought a set of tires for the rear and it was completely unstable/any steering input was way squirely and felt like the rear was going to slide out... I couldnt even take a turn at a posted speed limit sign it was that scary... anyways it ended up being a set of crappy tires and I bought new ones for the rear with a stiffer sidewall and a higher rated tire... if your tires have different speed rating or to low of speed ratings then that is probably why... get new rear tires and make em sticky... s2000's are picky about tire choices...

EDIT: it has nothing to do with your suspension... I will promise you that for sure... I know the feeling and it's the most scary feeling in the world....!!!

What tires are you using...? Take it back to the tire shop and tell them you need to have different tires... it's completely unsafe to drive under those conditions....
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM

#1 Aligment specs:
Front Left -
Camber -0.6 deg
Toe 0.10 deg

Front Right -
Camber -0.6 deg
Toe 0.00 deg

Total Toe 0.10 deg

Rear Left
Camber -1.7 deg
Toe 0.20 deg

Rear Right -
Camber -1.6 deg
Toe 0.20 deg

Thrust Angle 0.0 deg

#2 Alignment Specs
Front Left
Camber -0.6 deg
Caster 5.8 deg
Toe -0.00 deg

Front Right
Camber -0.5 deg
Caster 5.9
Toe 0.02

Rear Left
Camber -1.8 deg
Toe 0.18 deg

Rear Right
Camber -1.8
Toe 0.13

Total Toe 0.31
Thrust Angle 0.03
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by F20AP1
Just had this problem a few months ago... I bought a set of tires for the rear and it was completely unstable/any steering input was way squirely and felt like the rear was going to slide out... I couldnt even take a turn at a posted speed limit sign it was that scary... anyways it ended up being a set of crappy tires and I bought new ones for the rear with a stiffer sidewall and a higher rated tire... if your tires have different speed rating or to low of speed ratings then that is probably why... get new rear tires and make em sticky... s2000's are picky about tire choices...

EDIT: it has nothing to do with your suspension... I will promise you that for sure... I know the feeling and it's the most scary feeling in the world....!!!

What tires are you using...? Take it back to the tire shop and tell them you need to have different tires... it's completely unsafe to drive under those conditions....
I have tried 2 complete set of tires.
I first tried the Hankooks V12 Evo, all four, felt the same. Then went with Mitchellin Super Sport Pilots all four, same issue. I will take my car again to check for any balance issues etc, but at this point I'm not sure it will be the tires (altough I do prefer it to a suspension issue)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM

bump.. anyone familiar with alignment numbers?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Yes. the toe may be a little low on the right rear during alignment #2.

But I dont think its enough to feel what you are feeling.

you say you got a flat. Are both REAR tires currently the same size, brand, age, pressure and wear? Do you have any side pull under acceleration?

Quick Reply: Tramlining - wobbly handling