S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED

Old 04-17-2004, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
But as I am preparing to fill mine with MTL tomorrow, I am looking for people's rationales for what they plan to do. (I know Gernby's very well, and respect his opinions, just looking for others).
Do you have MTF in the car now? Any shifting issues? I started at 32,000 miles with a fresh load of MTF, and am just over 34,000 now. The first couple of up-shifts into second require some care to avoid a crunch, but once things are up to temp the car shifts perfectly. Oh yes, almost forgot, the car also has one autocross on the fluids. I have no idea how long the smooth shifting will last, but I suspect I'll stick with MTF as long as it works well in the car. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RED
Old 04-17-2004, 07:08 PM

I'm surprised no one has reported on Royal Purple SyncroMax. Gernby, you had a short drive in my car last week. How do you think the trany shifted? I've been using SyncroMax for the last 14 months with excellent results. Can't report on any of their other products because I don't use them, but the trany fluid is excellent. On the Corvette sites, and especially with the ZO6 crowd, it is very popular product. It works great in the S2000. At least in my car.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:12 PM

anyone running amsoil series 2000 75w 90 gear oil ? mine shifts better, but not as smooth as I would like. reverse is hard to get when cold. where can we get this gm gear oil ? LK
Old 04-17-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by fperra
I'm surprised no one has reported on Royal Purple SyncroMax. Gernby, you had a short drive in my car last week. How do you think the trany shifted? I've been using SyncroMax for the last 14 months with excellent results. Can't report on any of their other products because I don't use them, but the trany fluid is excellent. On the Corvette sites, and especially with the ZO6 crowd, it is very popular product. It works great in the S2000. At least in my car.
I used the Royal Purple SyncroMax and had the same problem with it getting notchy within 1500 miles. I had my engine/diff/tranny fluid changed before driving from Houston to Asheville. The trip was 11 hours non-stop, except for 4 gasoline stops, averaging 96 mph. By the time we got to Asheville, the shifting was probably the worst I ever experienced.

It's truly amazing to see how all of these fluids degrade so quickly after feeling like it's the best fluid ever.

I've been using the GM Syncromesh regularly and change it every 5k miles to keep it feeling as good as possible.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

fperra,

I don't remember anything about your transmission. I was too preoccupied with the differential to notice.

RR,

I'm surprised you chose MTL over MT-90.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red MX5: I had MTF in the car, and had a notchy, lunging feel during the 1-2 shift, until the box got good and warmed up.

Oakfloor: You are using a GL-5 in your tranny? I think that fluid is too slippery for proper tranny action, and it contains lots of sulphur, which may or may not be compatible with the synchros in your car. It would not be my choice.

Gernby: I chose MTL because it is the closest synfluid to the MTF's specs. My NSX specified 10w30 oil, then MTF, and Red Line pointed me to MTL back when i had the X, so I went with it in the S2000. If MTF is considered strong enough (wear wise) for the X and the S2000, then MTL is strong enough for me, but then again, I do not auto-x in scorching Texas heat, so my tranny gets plenty of "air".

All: I had Red Line make my MTL up in amber color, so any casual check by the dealer during an inspection will not tattletale a red fluid, which they would assume to be an ATF, and get on my case, or even worse, make a note on my service record that might be used later. I also have several bottle of MTL-red for cars that do specify ATF. I think it is cool that RL did this, as having Purple fluid in there is a dead giveaway.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even after the Dragon my GM Syncro FM in the tranny shifted like butter.....can't say my brakes held up as well. I think the Dragon was a good test for how the fluid held up.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:42 PM

I've had Royal Purple in my transmission for about 4000 miles. Changed the original MTF at about 3500 when the trans began to get notchy when I first started out in the A.M. ( car is garaged in Pensacola, Florida area where winter mornings can start out in the 20's and 30's).

I have been pleased with the RP. When I changed it out I noticed an immediate improvement in cold shifts. I have not noticed any degradation in shifts during the 4000 miles. The dealer I bought it from also had Redline products. He said the RP is formulated similar to GM Syncromesh fluid, but fully synthetic. At the next change I may try the GM Friction Modified product for comparison, but again, I am very satisfied with the Royal Purple.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pennzoil synchromesh
Old 04-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by mikecl713
pennzoil synchromesh
Blue.

Quick Reply: Track review of GM Synchromesh FRICTION MODIFIED