S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TPS/TB options for 2002?

Old 07-30-2021, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS/TB options for 2002?

So my throttle position sensor is undervolting on my stock 2002…. “Okay, fine, it’s riveted on and you have to buy the whole stupid throttle body from Honda… fine, whatever”

Except it’s discontinued.

So… thoughts?

- ‘04/05 TB for a grand?
- Ballade TB?
- Skunk2?
- something more ridiculous? (e.g. Spoon)
- some aftermarket TPS and careful calibration?

As noted, the car is stock. I didn’t have any intention of going tuning with this thing (stock ECU), but I’d like my car to run reliably and run well.

I’d appreciate any tips/experience anyone has here.

-Thanks
Old 07-31-2021, 04:17 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Omni power makes a TPS. You will need a new throttle body gasket as you'll have to remove the TB from the car. The two rivets are actually tiny tamper proof screws. You grind a slot for a screwdriver if you don't have the bit.

Then you'll have to calibrate the TPS. .3 volts = closed throttle 4.7 volts at fully open IIRC.

Calibration is done with a voltage meter. The TPS can be pivoted before being screwed down into position. That is how you adjust the voltage.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:42 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Omni power makes a TPS. You will need a new throttle body gasket as you'll have to remove the TB from the car. The two rivets are actually tiny tamper proof screws. You grind a slot for a screwdriver if you don't have the bit.

Then you'll have to calibrate the TPS. .3 volts = closed throttle 4.7 volts at fully open IIRC.

Calibration is done with a voltage meter. The TPS can be pivoted before being screwed down into position. That is how you adjust the voltage.
I've always wondered about 'calibrating' a TPS like that. On my old Prelude I'd bought a bored-out TB and had to swap over my existing TPS but it didn't run well and would throw a CEL if i hit WOT positioning the TPS so that the closed voltage was to spec because that made the WOT voltage too high. When I adjusted the TPS such that the WOT voltage was exactly to spec, the closed voltage was a bit lower than spec but the engine ran perfectly (well better than perfectly with the much larger TB and matched IM opening).

This led me to the conclusion that at least with those older ECUs, the WOT voltage is what matters - not so much where the closed voltage is.

Any idea if that's still the case on OBD2 ECUs too?
Old 08-01-2021, 04:10 AM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by kalm_traveler
I've always wondered about 'calibrating' a TPS like that. On my old Prelude I'd bought a bored-out TB and had to swap over my existing TPS but it didn't run well and would throw a CEL if i hit WOT positioning the TPS so that the closed voltage was to spec because that made the WOT voltage too high. When I adjusted the TPS such that the WOT voltage was exactly to spec, the closed voltage was a bit lower than spec but the engine ran perfectly (well better than perfectly with the much larger TB and matched IM opening).

This led me to the conclusion that at least with those older ECUs, the WOT voltage is what matters - not so much where the closed voltage is.

Any idea if that's still the case on OBD2 ECUs too?
I don't have much experience with older Hondas. I cannot comment accurately, I can only say something and hope someone corrects me.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I don't have much experience with older Hondas. I cannot comment accurately, I can only say something and hope someone corrects me.
If Ballade ever ships the IM and TB I ordered from them I'll be able to test my theory and let you know if it still holds true for my AP1.

Actually I can check my stock setup as is to see what its' WOT and closed voltages are to get an idea as well. Definitely for sure on the Prelude the WOT voltage is all that mattered since it seemed to be fine with the slightly lower-than-spec closed voltage but immediately threw a CEL if the WOT voltage was higher than spec and I'm really suspecting that's going to be the same with the S2000.
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 AP1.
Codes for tps issue. Also codes on air pump and catAly tic converter (it’s a Napa Cat’ and new O2 sensor)

Installed a Ballade Sports TPS and adjusted clocking to throttle body with closed throttle to their spec: .27-.29vdc (red/bl+ Yellow/green- ). Car runs perfectly. No codes, so far.

Their tps was easy installation clearly resembling the original. They included a needed gasket with the tps. I didn’t need a new throttle body gasket, luckily.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Slowcrash_101 (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 05:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggier
2003 AP1.
Codes for tps issue. Also codes on air pump and catAly tic converter (it’s a Napa Cat’ and new O2 sensor)

Installed a Ballade Sports TPS and adjusted clocking to throttle body with closed throttle to their spec: .27-.29vdc (red/bl+ Yellow/green- ). Car runs perfectly. No codes, so far.

Their tps was easy installation clearly resembling the original. They included a needed gasket with the tps. I didn’t need a new throttle body gasket, luckily.

Steve
Yeah been seeing a lot of TPS threads lately, which is funny because mine just went out and I replaced with the omnipower.

If you do need a TB gasket, I got mine from O'Reilly Auto for like $4 and it was OEM quality