S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

towing question

Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

There are 3 shafts in a S2k trans.

A mainshaft, that is attached to the clutch.
A countershaft that sits below the mainshaft
A secondary reduction shaft which is driven off the countershaft, and sits higher in the case than the other 2 shafts.

The mainshaft doesn't turn the clutch in neutral because the gears attached to it are all in neutral, and not locked to the shaft. All of the gears on the counter and main shafts will turn, as they are freewheeling (not locked by a synchro and hub)

When you are towing the car in neutral, 2 of of the 3 shafts inside the trans are turning. The secondary reduction and the countershaft. The driveshaft to the diff is connected to the secondary reduction shaft.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 17 2007, 08:33 PM
There are 3 shafts in a S2k trans.

A mainshaft, that is attached to the clutch.
A countershaft that sits below the mainshaft
A secondary reduction shaft which is driven off the countershaft, and sits higher in the case than the other 2 shafts.

The mainshaft doesn't turn the clutch in neutral because the gears attached to it are all in neutral, and not locked to the shaft. All of the gears on the counter and main shafts will turn, as they are freewheeling (not locked by a synchro and hub)

When you are towing the car in neutral, 2 of of the 3 shafts inside the trans are turning. The secondary reduction and the countershaft. The driveshaft to the diff is connected to the secondary reduction shaft.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no pics in that other thread

Why am i compelled to see the carnage?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

SlowS2K,

I read your explanation and corroborated with the diagram in the Helm's manual (something I should have done in the beginning).

I now see how the s2k tranny DIFFERS from the diagram on howstuffworks.com

Thanks for the explanation.

I was thoroughly confused howstuffworks.com
Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM

My car was towed by on its rear-wheels...gear put in neutral, parking brake down. i thought it would be fine, since my understanding of the tranny was based on the diagram from howstuffworks.com

I estimate the tow distance to be about 10 miles.

My tranny FEELS fine now.

what type of damage might have been caused, and will the damage get worse over time? (for example, my over-rev damage showed NO symptoms until 2 years later there was low compression).

if the damage can worsen over time, i'd choose to sue the tow company for a new tranny...

but if the tranny can stay the way it is now (assuming I do not cause further damage) i can live with this.

Thanks,
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 PM

i think i understand what you guys are saying.

you guys are saying that the countershaft will be spinning, hence the transmission will be spinning.

however, the gears should be freewheeling...but the secondary shaft gears that spin the countershaft is spinning without oil...

i believe i understand what you guys are saying now.

so if anything the secondary connector gears to the countershaft may incur the most damage having to be spun without oil...

i suppose if damage is done and its still working and feeling fine, it shouldn't get progressively worse.

by that reasoning, i don't think my transmission is junk...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Slows2k Posted on Apr 18 2007, 04:33 AM
This means the oil pump is running.. right?
As fast as it would be if you were driving at the same speed... right?

In my service manual they mention not to tow longer then 80 km (50 miles) and not go any faster then 55 km/h (35 mph).

Old 04-18-2007, 04:03 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The pump should be turning, but I've got a feeling Billman has seen a dead trans from towing
Old 04-18-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 18 2007, 04:03 AM
The pump should be turning, but I've got a feeling Billman has seen a dead trans from towing
perhaps, if billman's seen a dead trans from towing, the car was in gear...
Old 04-18-2007, 09:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

jyeung528 Posted on Apr 18 2007, 05:55 PM
perhaps, if billman's seen a dead trans from towing, the car was in gear...
Not likely IMO.
With the transmission in gear you can't tow the car.
Not without either turning the crankshaft (read engine) or having someone in the car pressing the clutch.

The diff drives the secondary reduction and the countershaft but the primairy shaft does not spin (as Slow explained).
On the countershaft 3-4-5-6 gear are fixed, that means both gears per gearset spin.
IMO what could happen if you drive to fast while towing is that (lets say) 3rd gear will spin faster on the primairy shaft then it ever would driving normally.
Because when you're driving normally the primairy shaft spins because the engine runs.
IMO thats where the max towing speed Honda recommends comes from.

I guess when having an non OEM final drive one should adjust the maximum towing speed accordingly.

jyeung528 Posted on Apr 18 2007, 07:24 AM
My car was towed by on its rear-wheels...gear put in neutral, parking brake down. i thought it would be fine, since my understanding of the tranny was based on the diagram from howstuffworks.com

I estimate the tow distance to be about 10 miles.
If you didn't go any faster then 35 mph (with an OEM diff) I think you're allright.

Quick Reply: towing question