S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

towing question

Old 04-17-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the Dragon, I know it is off topic, but I had to miss it & wanted to know.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 17 2007, 04:11 PM
The driveshaft is directly connected to the output shaft of the trans. It will spin, and so will anything else on it. With no oil.
but if the output shaft of the transmission is not in gear, it should not be spinning the transmission, as the selector fork is not connected to any gears, the gears should not be spinning since they ride on bearings, they should remain motionless.

My understanding comes from howstuffworks.com the link is below, and the statement below comes from that site.

The blue gears ride on bearings, so they spin on the yellow shaft. If the engine is off but the car is coasting, the yellow shaft can turn inside the blue gears while the blue gears and the layshaft are motionless.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm
Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM

howstuffworks is a great site to get a general knowledge of how something works. the link above only shows how gears work. you need to literally open up a transmission and play with the gears to really understand how it works.
ALL the gears are always in full contact and in constant motion. they are just not locked into a gear when in neutral.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Apr 17 2007, 07:36 PM
but if the output shaft of the transmission is not in gear, it should not be spinning the transmission, as the selector fork is not connected to any gears, the gears should not be spinning since they ride on bearings, they should remain motionless.
Gear selection has nothing to do with it.

The driveshaft is directly connected to the output shaft. It will spin without oil.

Should I post it a third time
Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 PM

bill is the man,you asked for help so please just listen
Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

The trans in a S2k has shafts that sit above the oil in the trans, and an oil pump to supply them with oil. They need pressurized oil to survive.

When all else fails, Honda's recommendation of FLAT BED ONLY will have you covered.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by S2SEXY,Apr 17 2007, 06:03 PM
bill is the man,you asked for help so please just listen
i always listen to billman...but it APPEARS to go against what "howstuffworks.com" describes.

i always ask questions to help me understand, that's just how i am. for me its not a matter of obtaining an answer, it is important for me to understand as well.

is someone willing to explain, without getting annoyed, why the explanation on howstuffworks.com seems to say that the gears and layshaft remain MOTIONLESS when the car is coasting in neutral?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission1.htm

read the fourth bullet point.

the only thing I can imagine is that the explanation on howstuffworks.com does not apply to the s2k transmission.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 17 2007, 08:16 PM
The trans in a S2k has shafts that sit above the oil in the trans, and an oil pump to supply them with oil. They need pressurized oil to survive.
How stuff works is a general system description, it does not apply for all things absolutely.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Apr 17 2007, 04:11 PM
The driveshaft is directly connected to the output shaft of the trans. It will spin, and so will anything else on it. With no oil.
how can this be true?

assuming your clutch is engaged since no one is in the car...if the output shaft spins, the gears spin, and if the gears spin, the layshaft spins, and the clutch spins, and the flywheel spins...this can't be possible if the car is off...there will be too much resistance from the engine.

also, when you are driving the car at say, 50mph, then put the car in neutral and let go of the clutch pedal, the gears/transmission is engaged to the engine through the clutch/flywheel, which is at idle speed, and the car is COASTING at 50mph...the driveshaft coasting speed has no influence on the transmission...so why would it influence the transmission when it is towed in neutral?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 17 2007, 07:18 PM
How stuff works is a general system description, it does not apply for all things absolutely.
if the description on howstuffworks.com INDEED does not apply to the s2k transmission, can you (if patience willing) explain how the s2k transmission is different from that of howstuffworks.com?

logically, the gears SHOULD NOT be influenced by the driveshaft speed if it is in neutral.

I understand that the output shaft is directly connected to the driveshaft, HOWEVER, the gears should be riding on bearings that allow the gears to be independent of the driveshaft speed assuming it is in neutral.

Quick Reply: towing question