S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Toulene, possible alternative to 100 octane gas.

Old 11-26-2001, 11:21 AM
JRM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]JRM, isn't that the point? It's not as compressible and takes more energy to burn? Raising the octane? Convert to alcohol? We're not looking to change things THAT much!

I also challenge the notion that there would be pre-detonation or that different gaskets would be needed. Corrosive? How much moreso than gasoline? We're (at least I'm) not talking about a 100% mix- more like 10%.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:57 AM
Ray

Originally posted by Ray

Quick calculation tells me that [(91 Octane)(7 gallons)+(114 Octane)(1 gallon)]/(8 gallon)=93.875 Octane

[/B]
I never buy more than 7-8 gallons of gasoline at a time, leaving the tank half empty. I was only going to add another gallon of toulene in it.

Anyway this is what I am going to try to make:

100 oz of toulene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)

This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.
Old 11-26-2001, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray, I'd recommend those other ingredients. You won't likely succeed in anything positive and might only harm the O2 sensor or cat if used with any regularity. I have never seen anything positive come of conventional "cleaners."
Old 11-26-2001, 12:29 PM
JRM

Ok, I'm lost on the Tran Fluid (ATF)? Lubricant? Isn't there enough in the fuel alone (gasoline)?
I don't know about the diesel of Keresone. I mean with fuel injection!! It works with carberated vehicles but n experience with fuel injection.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:00 PM

Definitely wear gloves and work with this stuff in a ventilated area. Wearing a respirator is not a bad idea.

Umm, funny (?) side comment... there are certain materials to avoid with toluene. Not too easy as an accident but you can make trinitrotoluene, known to most of us as TNT. More likely you'll end up with benzene or another extra-friendly aromatic.

Now easy to do (oops) is adding nitric acid to glycerin. Can you say nitroglycerin? I worked with some morons who accidentally mixed us up a batch. I don't envy the hazmat company that picked up that bubbling container on our rear dock (oh, and guess who was nominated to move it out there first...).
Old 11-27-2001, 04:40 AM

Since Penforhire is OT... I watched a nice show on Discovery about spontaneous human combustion. Yeah, I know, BS, but they got OT and talked about what happens when you mix chlorine and brake fluid- spontaneous combustion.

That said, don't clean out your brake reserviour with bleach.
Old 11-27-2001, 09:57 AM

Good luck, this stuff has a lower flash point the alcohol, and if you get it in your eyes there's a good chance you will be blind, before you can rinse it out. If you do give it a try start of small.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:54 AM
JRM

I don't envy the hazmat company that picked up that bubbling container on our rear dock (oh, and guess who was nominated to move it out there first...).
You've got to be puttin me on. These guys didn't no the basic chemical breakdown of nitro! Worse yet, they made you carry it outside in an unstable form!!!!! Sheeeeeeeeeeit Man a thimble full of this stuff could have blown up half the building. Now that's some scarey Sheeeeeeit!
Old 11-27-2001, 01:54 PM

Toluene !
I hope no one on this board will ever blow himself to kingdom come trying out alternative fuels for his S2000...
Old 11-27-2001, 08:08 PM

You haven't lived until you're wearing a cheesy white Tyvek bunny suit and a respirator while it's raining hot nitric and hydrofluoric acid on your Tyvek-covered head. Different crisis, same me doing the ugly thing.

Quick Reply: Toulene, possible alternative to 100 octane gas.