S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TOTAL loss of VTEC, Feels like Fuel Cut, please help

Old 07-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

So Hondata finally got back to me and said that my ecu was no damaged which i guess is a good thing but at the same time im back to square 0.

At this point I just need input as to what could cause such a problem. Everywhere VTEC is set the car seems to hit a wall and bog ultra hard. Could it be my skunk 4 bar map sensor? I have no idea at this point. I need ideas, just things to try.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

If Hondata is not accepting RMAs, at this time... how can they test their product?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
If Hondata is not accepting RMAs, at this time... how can they test their product?
If you look at the date of my second to last post it was on June 13th. Like a day after that or so they told me they are accepting RMA again. So I sent it in and they got back to me today.

Last edited by MaxSorin; 07-08-2020 at 06:40 PM. Reason: June 13* not 19
Old 07-08-2020, 09:46 PM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Assuming the logs flanders posted are from you I think you have a number of issues and you should go over your install then start over on the tune.

You said you are running spring pressure (14psi) for boost. You log shows max of ~22psi.

I'm guessing your WB is either not set correctly in the software, not calibrated, not wired to the ECU correctly or flat out failed (possible all that fuel killed the sensor). Post 1 and 4 and the logs says it all: your afr logs are ~13 throughout but it's not what you are seeing on the gauge.

The loose fuel pump explains the dramatic change in behavior. Your tuner may have been un-knowingly compensating for the low fuel pressure and it is now way too rich. The WB is telling him afr is around 13 so he's not enough taking fuel out.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 PM

I’ll swap in another wb sensor as soon as I get my ecu back. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:20 AM

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxSorin
I’ll swap in another wb sensor as soon as I get my ecu back. Thanks.
I'd suggest checking the "free" things first like your wiring and ECU settings. IIRC you need to switch the KPro O2 sensor settings. From Kpro website:

Closed loop. The RSX ECU will run in closed loop using the S2000 primary oxygen sensor. Due to the RSX ECU normally using a wide band oxygen sensor, in KManager you use select 'Use Secondary Oxygen Sensor for Primary' (don't panic - the ECU is actually running off the S2000 primary oxygen sensor, which has been routed through the RSX ECU as the secondary oxygen sensor). Using a wideband RSX oxygen sensor is not recommended because the oxygen sensor is expensive (as much as an aftermarket wideband) and substantial re-wiring is required. The ECU can datalog aftermarket wideband controller which output a analog voltage (via the ELD input).

I don't know if you still have to do this even though closed loop functions are turned off. It shouldn't affect the tune since it's running strictly off the map in open loop but for datalogging purposes it would help to know.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 451 Likes on 378 Posts

I don't think the closed loop settings would matter if it's disabled.

When you are swapping sensors you should do a rough calibration to see if it reads correctly, both on gauge (if you got one) and in kmanager.
First just hold the sensor in clean open air and check that it reads full lean.
Then get a rag drenched in brake clean around the sensor and check that it read full rich, be careful because sensor will be hot.
You can use butane/propane or other similar gases and spray it on the sensor as well for same effect.
Old 05-04-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if you ever resolved this issue? I was at a track day last year and had the same problem. All of a sudden car died when going into VTEC. Made the mistake of having someone look at it.....spent a couple of thousand and got now where other than the pulled the turbo and went back to NA because they thought it was the turbo.......now NA and same prob. Took the car back, running AEM, set the base tune for the low cam, ran it up to 6 K RPM no prob. Turned on the VTEC and as soon as it engaged the car lost all kinds of power and ran super rich despite the ECU maxing out how much fuel it could pull out. I am guessing this means the VTEC electronics are working and something is engaging but must be a mechanical problem at the rockers??
Old 05-04-2022, 02:26 PM

Actually someone had mentioned the solution above and i was just too excited to ever update the post. Turns out when my fuel pump came loose from my hangar:
"The loose fuel pump explains the dramatic change in behavior. Your tuner may have been un-knowingly compensating for the low fuel pressure and it is now way too rich. The WB is telling him afr is around 13 so he's not enough taking fuel out." I got him to tune the car 100% from scratch and we went on to make 617whp and kick ass all summer long.