S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Torque Sensor replacement

Old 12-11-2017, 02:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi lachambers (tried sending you a PM but there is a limit on the number of characters, SMH) Anyway, I'm surprised that greasing the shaft made a difference, it just looks like there is a seal around the shaft and any grease being applied wouldn't have much of a chance to work its way inside the seal. Maybe I'm wrong though, it seems to work for you.

Mine is definitely temperature related, I'm in Atlanta and we've had a few temperature swings lately, it's much more noticeable now that the temps have dropped. I'm the original owner, and after 15 years and 135,000 miles, I don't mind just replacing the torque sensor since that's the root cause. I think it's interesting that your 2002 only has 30,000 miles which points more to the problem possibly being corroded contacts. We use a contact lubricant here at work called "ProGold" and it's proven itself time and time again on improving conductivity on DC contact connections, when I get a chance, I'll see if I can pull the connectors, clean them with some emery cloth, apply some lubricant, and see if that's enough of a temporary fix.

I'm also thinking about selling or trading in my car, so I'm not in a hurry to spend $350 + labor to install the new torque sensor. On the other hand, if I keep the car, I might as well fix the problem sooner rather than later.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey S2K Dude, thanks for the reply. Temps are diffidently part of the issue, no question.. I would also try the lube under the dust cover either way. It only take a few minutes to apply the lubricant. I have found that a lighter lube works better more than a heavy grease, probably because of the colder temps. . I have not cleaned the contacts yet so have no knowledge of that working. There is no doubt that the lubrication helps!!!
Like I said let me know if you want to talk,
Lachambers
Old 11-13-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been putting off replacing the torque sensor, but yesterday I've gone ahead and ordered the AP2 part, per this thread, it should work. I also talked to the Service Manager at my local Honda dealer, he said the AP2 part should work as well. I could not get any confirmation if the less expensive CR version of the part would work though.

I'll be sure to post up when I do the replacement so we can keep this thread up to date for other owners.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned and lubed mine with great success!

It's been fine for since, even in very cold weather this past weekend.

The torque sensor is just a potentiometer (not very different than a radio volume knob). over time, the internal electrical contacts (that relay the steering position to the eps computer) get corroded (no surprise given the age of our cars).

I made a post in the talk and tech FB group a while back detialing how I cleaned mine (need to make a DIY here sometime), but the short answer is this:

You'll need an electronics contact cleaner and lubricant. I used CRC QD Contact Cleaner and CRC 2-26 Lubricant (other brands, such as Caig should work just as well (only used CRC because my local Home Depot had them in stock))

1. Pull back boot
2. Using a pick, carefully pull the inner seal back enough to insert the cleaner straw
3. Spray liberally
4. Row the wheel from lock to lock many times (car off!)
5. Give the cleaner plenty of time to dry (IIRC, I think I waited a day)
6. Repeat steps 2-4 using the lube

Optional step 7. Complete the same set of steps for the interior light door switches!

Mine had been spastic for over a year, initially in cold weather only, but was even doing it in the summer. Since following this procedure, it's been 100% perfect (even in the 30's!).

For some reason, the workings of the torque sensor seem to be a mystery, and I'm betting many people replaced them (or the entire rack) needlessly. TRY THIS FIRST!!!
The following users liked this post:
ziffen (10-20-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
I cleaned and lubed mine with great success!

It's been fine for since, even in very cold weather this past weekend.

The torque sensor is just a potentiometer (not very different than a radio volume knob). over time, the internal electrical contacts (that relay the steering position to the eps computer) get corroded (no surprise given the age of our cars).

I made a post in the talk and tech FB group a while back detialing how I cleaned mine (need to make a DIY here sometime), but the short answer is this:

You'll need an electronics contact cleaner and lubricant. I used CRC QD Contact Cleaner and CRC 2-26 Lubricant (other brands, such as Caig should work just as well (only used CRC because my local Home Depot had them in stock))

1. Pull back boot
2. Using a pick, carefully pull the inner seal back enough to insert the cleaner straw
3. Spray liberally
4. Row the wheel from lock to lock many times (car off!)
5. Give the cleaner plenty of time to dry (IIRC, I think I waited a day)
6. Repeat steps 2-4 using the lube

Optional step 7. Complete the same set of steps for the interior light door switches!

Mine had been spastic for over a year, initially in cold weather only, but was even doing it in the summer. Since following this procedure, it's been 100% perfect (even in the 30's!).

For some reason, the workings of the torque sensor seem to be a mystery, and I'm betting many people replaced them (or the entire rack) needlessly. TRY THIS FIRST!!!
I saw a post by someone else who tried to do this and was unable to get the straw in without it kinking do to limited space. Did you have any issues like that or do you have any tips?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdt540
I saw a post by someone else who tried to do this and was unable to get the straw in without it kinking do to limited space. Did you have any issues like that or do you have any tips?
It was certainty fiddly to get the can in the right spot, get the straw in the seal, and push the spray button.

I shot from both above and below with both products (to ensure I hit all the internals).

No real tips.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
It was certainty fiddly to get the can in the right spot, get the straw in the seal, and push the spray button.

I shot from both above and below with both products (to ensure I hit all the internals).

No real tips.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cdt540
Thanks
Followed Slowcrash101’s detailed instruction

Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM

StockSH, where did you find that setup? It looks like you accessed it from the top? I was thinking it would have to be done from the bottom. That looks much more straight forward.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let us know how the AP2 goes with the AP1 rack....PLEASE!

Quick Reply: Torque Sensor replacement