S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Top Missing on Bypass Control Assy on Vacuum Tank

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts
Default Top Missing on Bypass Control Assy on Vacuum Tank

On an 02 we have the Bypass control assembly that mounts on t he vacuum tank on the air box. The assembly has several vacuum tubes attached to it. There is a round shaped top on the assembly but mine is missing, so all it has is just a metal nib showing and open to the elements. I don't know how important this is, if the part sucks air in or exhaust air out when it is in operation. A new assembly is pretty expensive and you can buy just the top of it. Does anyone know how this thing works ?, does it suck in air or exhaust air ?. I could probably put a piece of foam over the nib to keep dirt out of it as it is exposed to the air right now. Any advice on this would be helpful, thanks very much.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing with me. any body?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you get a CEL?

I know when I broke the bung off the vacuum tank I did, so the vacuum system is needed for proper operation.

And, yea, it's over $100 for the part you're talking about...mounted TO the air box, but above the vacuum tank. The VT is a $15 part.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 PM

wow, old post revived from the dead. It turns out the round part on top of the solenoid is a filter, so it works better having a filter on it to keep dirt and moisture out of the system. I ended up finding a used part and replaced mine, I did make a home-made filter for the original part that I ran for a few months until such time as I got an entire part.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by steven975
Do you get a CEL?

I know when I broke the bung off the vacuum tank I did, so the vacuum system is needed for proper operation.

And, yea, it's over $100 for the part you're talking about...mounted TO the air box, but above the vacuum tank. The VT is a $15 part.
a ill buy a new tank. I got a celfor p0411. And top drives kinda boggy for a bit. The top part i have fpr the solenoid broke off a piece but its stikl on there. I taped over the hole
Old 04-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
wow, old post revived from the dead. It turns out the round part on top of the solenoid is a filter, so it works better having a filter on it to keep dirt and moisture out of the system. I ended up finding a used part and replaced mine, I did make a home-made filter for the original part that I ran for a few months until such time as I got an entire part.
What kind of filter did u use for the top since they do not sell it separtely
Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dumas2k
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1302141753' post='20438435
What kind of filter did u use for the top since they do not sell it separtely
oddly enough I used a rubber boot end of a spark plug wire connector. I inserted a piece of foam material in the wide end and siliconed the small end onto the nib of the solenoid. It worked well, perfect fitment , had kind of a periscope like appearance and it stayed in place quite well.

It was one of those wire kits where you custom size the wire and crimp on the boots, found in muscle car performance shops, I think they are made by Taylor. I eventually sold the piece when I was able to find a cheap deal on a replacement unit. I had a member offer to buy it from me who was in need of a solenoid. It worked well

I recall seeing one warning where water could enter the solenoid and cause severe electrical issues with the pcm, so I made sure to get the open end covered as soon as I discovered that the top filter element was missing.