S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

top lock nut on coilover keeps getting loose

Old 12-26-2004, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top lock nut on coilover keeps getting loose

top lock nut on my tein ra's (passenger rear) keep coming loose. it drove perfect until i adjusted the ride height. i have concluded that when i adjusted the ride height, when turning the perch the motion knocked the nut loose, because up until i adjusted the height which was about a month of use, everything was perfect.
so now every 50 miles or so, i always have to re-tighten the nut.
problem is that when i tighten it, it reaches the point where the whole rod turns, and i can't get the proper torque to the nut (26.5lbs).

i have read the instructions that came with, and it says for me to not turn the rod, but i think that is just precautionary, i don't feel like it is doing any damage. am i wrong to assume that?
it says, do not re-assemble on your own and to send it to tein, but i don't want to do that just to tighten 1 damn nut. i was thinking of just wrapping some rubber around the rod and vice-gripping it to hold it.
man, has this ever happened to anyone?

so my questions are:
-is it dangerous that the whole rod is turning?
-how do you suggest i clamp down the rod so i can torque the nut?
-should the car be jacked, or on the wheels, or remove the coilovers and tighten it?

thanks all.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this the nut that holds coilover to the shock tower? Or are you talking about a different one? If you could snap a pic, I bet that'll help get some more responses.

Kyle
Old 12-27-2004, 07:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The only thing I can think of is to use a thick peice of rubber to protect the shaft, and grip it with a pipe wrench or vice grips. However, I would probably remove the coilover and remove the spring so that you can avoid scratching any part of the shaft that actually enters the damper.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:24 AM

I've seen a few shops blow brand new shocks/struts by having the piston spin. There should be a way to put a allen key on top of the strut and then use some blue lock-tite on the threads to make sure it stays on.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:54 AM

Sounds like the nylon on the locknut is worn so you will need to get a new lock nut.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by AP2kyle,Dec 27 2004, 07:27 AM
Is this the nut that holds coilover to the shock tower? Or are you talking about a different one? If you could snap a pic, I bet that'll help get some more responses.

Kyle
there are 3 bolts on top of the coilover, the 2 outside ones are what mounts the coilovers to the body, and the center one is the one that holds the entire coilover together, and that is the one i am talking about.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by kane.s2k,Dec 27 2004, 08:24 AM
I've seen a few shops blow brand new shocks/struts by having the piston spin. There should be a way to put a allen key on top of the strut and then use some blue lock-tite on the threads to make sure it stays on.
damn, are you serious. can someon confirm this for me please. i have been driving it around after spinning it, and it seems fine.
does anyone know the number for tein usa, the number on the instructions leads me to a day care center???

thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

On some coilovers, like JIC, the method is to use a impact gun to tighten the nut on the shaft. Just hit it for 2-3 seconds
Old 12-27-2004, 08:54 AM

should i turn the rod back counterclockwise to negate my free spinning of it also, i am still not convinced that that does anything because i feel no difference in ride quality.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think you did any harm to them, and I don't think you should try to turn them back. I think that twisting the shaft puts abnormal stresses on the seals (since they weren't designed for tortional motion), but I've done it many times without damage.

Quick Reply: top lock nut on coilover keeps getting loose