S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Top Leaking

Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top Leaking

Have a small leak from top into the trunk. Its an 01, pretty sure the top is aftermarket though, and when heavy rain my trunk gets wet. Looks like leaking from the top left, through the top. Any suggestions on how to fix without taking the whole top off?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pour water down the side that doesnt leak then look under the car and you will see where the drain plug is.

Go on the other side and locate the same drain and use one of those computer spray cans into it and water should leak out.

Also i'm not sure if you can do this with the top installed but..

The corner of the frame goes into a U shaped plastic piece (drain is located there. You may be able to access it by seperating the frizzy part at the corner of the frame. I'm not explaining it right but do you get the idea?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm Ill have to test when I get the car out
Old 01-20-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bet money that the water is coming in over the rain channel. There are strips of weatherstripping that some installers either leave out or don't reinstall correctly. Remove your spare tire cover and the tire in the compartment and the carpet panel next to it, revealing the top of the gas tank. Next remove the rear plastic tray and the two side pieces. They are held in with clips and those stupid interior push pins that like to break if you pull on them wrong. Once they're out, place a hose on your roof, oriented so that the water runs down your rear window and into the channel. Turn it on, get into the car, and with a flashlight, look around the rain channel to locate where the water is leaking from. Once you locate that, you can unbolt the 10 or so nuts, take the three metal braces out, and pull the rain channel back off of the bolts so you can examine the rear of the top. Make sure the top is properly riveted to the rubber channel. Mine was not, and after re-riveting the top, I sealed the rivets with 3M weatherstripping adhesive for good measure. My installer also left out the previously mentioned weatherstripping, so after trying many different things, including trying replacement strips of weatherstripping, I bought clear silicone caulking and sealed the length of the channel along the metal, so that when the channel was replaced onto the bolts, the rear would be sealed and water could not seep behind and into the trunk. While your top is all apart, check your drain cups on either side of the car right behind the doors to make sure they're not clogged with leaves and crap, causing a slow drain.