S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Top end noise..need tips/advise

Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After researching a little more, I strongly believe my problem is the timing chain tensioner. Apparently these things are prone for failure very earlier and I believe mine has not been replaced in at least 100k. Also noticed I have a pretty nasty oil leak coming from it. Came across this write up for rebuilding the TCT.

https://www.s2ki.com/home/2010/08/08...ent-or-repair/
Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

I wouldn't follow that to fix the TCT not if you want a long term fix.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
I wouldn't follow that to fix the TCT not if you want a long term fix.
What would be a long term fix?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Anyone know how to contact Billman250 about a TCT? I tried to PM him but it's saying I do not have permission.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:47 AM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

Pm me I'll teach ya
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Pm me I'll teach ya
Clinked on your name and got this..

[#10245] You are not permitted to view member profiles.

How am I suppose to PM you?

---I did not know there was a 2 week grace period you must wait until you can PM---
Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Go under the ny metro section. He has a thread for services there . U can reach em there
Old 06-24-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by superchargedk20
Go under the ny metro section. He has a thread for services there . U can reach em there
Thanks found the thread. Have two week grace period to wait till I can PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cant Believe I Own A S2K
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1435116044' post='23658319
That thing looks like it is in dire need of some good oil w/detergents... Put her on a steady diet of Rotella T6 immediately...

And #4 valve cover-to-spark plug hole gasket is leaking.

Your best bet to find any sort of metal particulate will be to cut open the oil filter when you replace it. You'll need an actual tool or you'll need to be careful and cut it open with some shears so you don't get shavings everywhere. I cut one open with diagonal cutters last time.

Once you get it open and cut the media off, you can stack the media back up like an accordian, wrap the media in shop towels, and put it in a vice (or other compressing tool). You can squish all the oil out this way and have a good clean look at the media to see if there are any shavings.

I do a UOA every so often, but in between those I just cut the filter open after each oil change to see if anything looks strange.
Will hop on that when I change the oil. Could you please explain your reasoning behind this though? Not questioning your reasoning, just curious and am all about learning. Will also change the spark plug seal, but first need to locate what's causing all this ticking.
High detergent oils tend to clean the engine a lot better. Most diesel oils have very high detergent levels due to how sooty diesels run. Rotella T6 also happens to provide very good wear analysis results on many gas engines. I run it in every car I own except for the S2000 which gets Motul 300v. My diesel truck gets the standard Rotella Triple T.

This covers engine oil detergents: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=258648

Cutting open the oil filter simply lets you look to see if any metal particulate has been caught in the oil filter. It is just a way of checking for abnormal engine wear. Ideally, you don't want to find anything. If you open it up and it looks like someone took a hacksaw to something inside, then you probably have some issues.

This guy goes through most of the procedure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTdOamzjcaE

The only thing I do differently is that I cut the whole element out and I separate it into two halves. Then I wrap the element in a shop towel and compress it in a vise to squish all the oil out. It lets you get a better look at the actual filter element.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not much to offer other than good luck. Looks like you got a hell of a deal, and the inside of the engine looks WAY better than I was expecting.

I did the Billman tct recently. Good product, and he guarantees it forever. Given his reputation in the s2000 community, I'm sure he stands behind it.

Quick Reply: Top end noise..need tips/advise