S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Top End Inspection - Questions...

Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default Top End Inspection - Questions...

Well I've started to pull off the head of my engine to prepare for a new block that I've purchased. I got the cams and rockers off tonight and decided to do a closer inspection of the retainers (2002 factory ap1 retainers). The good signs are that I don't see any cracks on the retainers, and all of the valve tips look to be at the proper level, no retainers riding up the valve stems. I haven't seen any metal shavings on the top end, not even one speck, and the cam lobes still measure at new spec for cam lobe height, not too bad.

One thing I did notice is that some of the valve keepers seem to have a wider gap at one end of where the two halves butt up to each other. Some keepers seem to butt up tighter to each other, and some seem to have a wider gap at one of where the two halves meet. Is this normal or anything to worry about ?. Thanks for any replies.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Keepers don't need to be perfectly apart from my understand as long as they are both seated on the valve correctly they are good.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Keepers don't need to be perfectly apart from my understand as long as they are both seated on the valve correctly they are good.
ah cool, that is exactly how some of mine are, not perfectly together/apart but they definitely look seated properly. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just change them. The head will be off anyways. Replace the retainers and maybe clean or lap the valves. You won't be worrying about it later
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect time to upgrade your retainers to OEM AP2's, do a search on cracked retainers... you will understand why
Old 05-07-2012, 03:42 AM

I'll have a look at them, thanks for the replies
Old 05-07-2012, 05:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, definitely switch those over to the AP2 ones I did that as well this winter, there is a great qrite up in the DIY section of the forum for it. I feel like we are such close friends given we are in a very similar situation with bearings issues haha. Mine won't be apart til the 2nd weekend of June where I hope to knock it all out in a fast and furious 3 day event.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by SLracer
Yea, definitely switch those over to the AP2 ones I did that as well this winter, there is a great qrite up in the DIY section of the forum for it. I feel like we are such close friends given we are in a very similar situation with bearings issues haha. Mine won't be apart til the 2nd weekend of June where I hope to knock it all out in a fast and furious 3 day event.
he, he, yeah we are close friends at different stages of our engine problems, lol. I bought a new block but I won't be able to pick it up until my summer vacation down south. Jordanskartell is going to freshen it up for me and I'll bring it home at the end of July. The car won't be running until August. That gives me some time to get my engine pulled out and I'll have a better idea of the condition it's in.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The cotters make a circle once mounted, it does not matter where the gap is.
(allthough it looks nicer when the gap is evenly spaced - you'll spend hours getting it right)

Yes, I would also change to AP2, or better, 1:5 retainers & cotters, because of the 1:5 ratio.

And.. get new valve stem seals too.
Not expensive and worth it IMO - piece of mind kinda thing.
Just don't mix them up, the color of the spring - black vs shiny - determines where they go.

You could also get a valve lap tool - suction-cap-on-a-stick - and clean-up the seats.
Especially the exhaust ones.
You'll need grinding paste too for this, in several grits.

Maybe get the head decked - within factory spec.
Gives just a little more compression at the cost of slighty changed timing.
As long as the thickness after decking is within factory spec it is ok.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If one has a stock TCT which doesn't cause any problems, could decking the head cause the chain to slack enough to start clicking?

Quick Reply: Top End Inspection - Questions...