S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tools needed for Spoon air duct install?

Old 07-25-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools needed for Spoon air duct install?

So far from rumaging I have the regular toolsets, nuts and bolts etc which don't seem to be needed. I also have a heavy duty scissors, An exacto/utility knife,razors, and I think I have some wire cutters also. I saw that some people have use dremels to do the installation...I'm a broke grad school student so every penny counts and I can't go out and buy a dremel since I rarely have use for those.

I searched and read the writeups by fellow s2k members and they were great.

So basically for the 1st step....

1) Gutting out air box lid "L" shape, and wall. Can an exacto knife or razors do this?

2) Cutting of the two horns. Can my scissors do this job or exacto knife?

3) The final important part is the air guide. TriangX just pmed me saying he did this with an exacto knife. I will try do it with this.

Instead of taking off the air guide can't I just make a sketch of where I need to cut then insert a sharp pick or something to break the skin and create a hole then use a knife to start cutting the area? I would rather do this then take the guide off. Alot of people seem to have trouble with taking it off....

Let me know if this is a good start! I like to be prepared.
If any of you guys are interested theres a post in the for sale forum for a group buy potential, but it doesn't look like we have much interest so its still only $160 shipped.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:15 AM

You can buy a cheap dremel kit at Kragen for $12. This one has speeds of up to 35,000 rpm. I used a saw to cut the air guide. You might want to sand down your cut area to smooth it over. If you screw up a new air guide costs less than $30.

You have to take the air guide off unless you have a dremel or you have an extremely sharp knife that will easily cut through plastic.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Getting the air guide off is the biggest hurdle with the install, all the other issues you seem to have under control.

I seem to remember the "trick" was once the clips on the inside along the bumper (get ready to loose a little skin there) are removed; squeeze the two halves together andallow one end to slide into the lower section of the bay (infront of rad) and then you can get it out.

With a few measurements cutting the airguide before re-installing is safe and makes re-installing easier. You can then get it back out to make any final cut/smoothing
Old 07-26-2004, 08:42 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I just used a Dremel for the airbox modding - some pliers for the horn and a screwdriver/pliers for the clips ninegrand is referring to.

That and probably screwdrivers/sockets was about it...

I simply removed the airguide without re-installing it.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 PM

yeh tried using the razor exacto knife today and that would have been hopeless..Even thesaw would have been hard to get at that angle to get the bottom middle out without a dreme. Maybe I will do A CAI shoot! I dunno lol. Sent you a PM lig!