S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tool Set?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Set?

Hey guys, new s2k owner. Wondering if you had any recommendations/suggestions on a tool set. Which tool set do you use?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM

This is a pretty vague question haha. It really depends on what you're going to do, if all you're going to do is change your oil and brakes you could easily get by with a $100 worth of brand X tools. Gearwrench, Kobalt, and Sears Professional are all good brands. If you want to start working on cars professionally Snap-On is the way to go, they come to almost every shop, every week, you can make payments and if anything breaks you don't have to be incovenienced with waiting several weeks for a new one.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy tools as you need them. Buy sets if possible, i.e. don't just buy a single 14mm wrench. Buy good quality, and don't worry about what they cost, it's still cheaper than having a mechanic do the work, and since you care about your car, the results are likely to be better anyway. Good quality tools will last you your whole life. I've had some of mine 40 years now.

By the time you're my age (54), you will have a Lathe, Mill, 2 welders, a press, an air compressor, and every tool you'll ever need for anything.

At that point, you'll have to look for excuses to buy tools, as I do. :-)

Mike
Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM

I definitely agree with grubinski on buying tools as you need them.

Personally, I don't like the x pcs for x dollar tool sets. I have had them in the past and I never really used all those unnecessary sizes. Plus, the built quality is usually not that great.

So far I purchased:

wrenches and sockets in 10mm, 12mm, 17mm, 19mm, 23mm, 24mm.
1/2" drive ratchet
1/2" to 3/8" connector
5/8" spark plug socket
torque wrench
floor jack
feeler gauge set
6" clamp
allen keys
3" extension
6" extension
jack stands
fluid pump
drain pan
funnel

This pretty much covers the basic maintenances on my cars.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

first thing i would suggest is getting a good set of long handle box wrenches (spanners) i got the gearwrench XL set. i use them more than i do sockets. get a breaker bar and a torque wrench. so far i have yet to need a big air compressor since i can usually tackle the job with my hand tools and my small 3/8 milwaukee impact gun. the gun is just for convenience and speed. most of the other tools youll need you can borrow from autozone or pepboys. get a pair of jack stands, i bought the low profile 2 ton jack from harbor freight. best jack ive owned so far.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Husky hand tools are good if you are on a tight budget.
Craftsmen are always a good value (wait for a sale).

Unless you will use these tools for a living, Snap-On is waaaaaaay overkill and over priced.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My profession is a Honda mechanic, I use mostly Snap-on tools they are more expensive then craftsman but they are worth the money. I also have some Matco, Mac and Craftsman tools. But overall the tools I use most are Snap-on. If you are only working on your own vehicles Craftsman Tools are the way to go. It's actually what I have for a home set. Also consider Blue Point. It's Snap-on's lower quality brand and significantly cheaper. You can get complete sets in the Blue point branded tools and they are available from your local Snap-on dealer and also include the lifetime warranty on hand tools.

On a side note I agree with 08s2000 some times complete sets do offer a bunch of tools you may never use especially working on Hondas. And tools you don't use are worthless and a waste of money
Old 10-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature for new owners.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

IF you plan on doing your own maintenance on this car get yourself at least two good torque wrenches, as far as over the counter torque wrenches go I like Craftsman's offerings, unless you can afford Snap on stuff. Get yourself one 2-20 foot lbs (20-250 inch lbs) 3/8ths drive torque wrench, and one 20-150 ft lbs 1/2 inch drive torque wrench. I actually have 4 different torque wrenches but 2 is minimum in my books. Even if you find a 1/2 inch torque wrench that does lower settings never use it on a small bolt, it's always better to have a lower setting wrench for small bolts. It will save you many headaches keeping you from snapping bolts.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Some great advice above from everybody.
You can get some great deals on sale at Sears for tool sets. I still have some I have had for 40 years. I use them for a lot more than cars. (Home, bikes, trailers, projects)

I would just like to point out that when you do the jack stand deal, please ensure you do it correctly. I know of some deaths and tragic injuries from vehicles coming off stands. Don't scrimp on quality to save a couple of bucks. Its your life. Be careful of Harbor Freight style stuff. You can use it, just be cautious and perhaps overrate the tools for the job. The stuff comes from China.
Don't depend on aluminum stands; they can fail with dynamic loads. Exception are the Big Red tube style. Better design than pyramid.
May want to use something to backup like the jack or an old wheel.
Do it on level ground.
Be careful if you are putting a lot of muscle into something causing the car to move.
Try to move the car on the stands before going under.
Tell someone you are under the car.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tool Set?