S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

took the car in for the decel buzz...

Old 12-20-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default took the car in for the decel buzz...

Ok, so I took my MY00 in for a look at the common deceleration clutch buzz issue. They called me back a few hours after I dropped it off and said that they were going to replace the clutch per the TSB. They told me that they recommended replacing the pressure plate and throwout bearing while they had everything apart. The thing is, they want me to pay for those 2 parts. My car is still covered by the certified warranty, so I don't imagine I'll have much of an issue getting that included in the covered work.

My question is this though: Do you think that replacing the pressure plate will reduce the likelyhood (since I've read there is some) of the buzz returning? I know it's a good idea to give a new clutch a fresh surface to mate to, since any irregularities in the PP already in place may damage the new clutch. I'm just wondering if this buzz is something more persistent that tends to come back in these cars.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

well, the clutch buzz is really more an annoyance than a defect, so i think they are being EXTREMELY generous by paying the labor and the disc. You do realize that clutches are EXEMPT from warranties, don't you? They are being SOOOO NICE!

the pressure plate and TB are not broken. Not in any sense. They are worn, and that is why you have to pay for it. It is the DISC that is broken and they are replacing it. These parts would never be covered by an extended warranty anyway. You don't HAVE to replace the parts, but you should as they are worn. replacing it won't have anything to do with the buzz...but you still should.

the buzz is really caused by the springs in the disc vibrating. the solution is an updated disc. i hear the buzz comes back anyway. try to have them use the MY04 part.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:15 PM

I understand that the clutch is not a warrantied part. There is a TSB regarding this issue that states that the clutch is to be replaced with an updated part. Replacing it and not charging me for labor has nothing to do with being generous.

I also understand that the the PP and TB aren't broken. What I'm looking for here is some insight on whether or not I should replace the parts.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:18 PM

actually they are being very generous, many members here have been turned down for this service with much newer models than yours under their full original warranties. i would say they are going out of their way to help you out and to keep a potential future customer.
the buzzing noise is the nature of the beast. the updated clutch will only help it a little, it will not eliminate this noise. the noise is from the transmission itself. the different springs in the clutch help absorb some of the vibration/noise. however, seems like every one i do, the noise is still there afterwards, just not as loud. which is an improvement i guess.
as for replacing your pp and bearing. i would do it while its a part. cant hurt, should cost some money in parts but dont let them charge you labor, its included with what the techs aready getting paid.
i would also do the trans fluid, rear diff fluid. and have the rear axle nuts torqued while its there. if it hasnt already been done.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The latest HondaTech magazine has a detailed writeup on this - and it says the service should be done if all else fails and the "customers has complaints".

They do say it is more a perceived problem than a mechanical one.

All trannies have some noise when you unload them.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Dec 20 2004, 07:25 PM
All trannies have some noise when you unload them.
The early clutches made a lot more than "some noise" when unloaded.. you could not hear anything else when mine was like that.

Do pay for the other parts since they do wear and it is a good deal to duck labor charges on a clutch job. The parts other than the FD have nothing to do with the noise (caused by transmission gear lash vibrating the springs in the FD).
Old 12-21-2004, 08:35 AM

Get use to the buzz its the s2000's mating call !! They all do it some more than others.I own an 03 and the noise got even louder when I changed the clutch to an aftermarket one.One thing I did notice is that the noise will be louder if when taking the shifter off the tech accidently brakes the white circular plastic ring that clips inside..the noise WIll travel into the cabin more.I went as far as driving the car with out my center counsel cover to hear where its coming from.It is a normal characteristic of the s2000....UNLESS its extremely LOUD then you might have a problem.