S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Too Much Oil

Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Too Much Oil

The mechanics I use allow me to provide oil for oil changes. Recently I brought them a 5.28 quart container of synthetic oil for my S2000 (2.2 l motor). They came back to me, showed me the dipstick with oil not quite to the top and asked if I wanted to purchase a quart to they could fill it to the top of the crosshatching. I said no after looking in the manual and reading that the engine's oil capacity is 5.1 quarts. Yesterday, before starting the car, I checked the oil and it was to the top of the crosshatching. My question: when checking the oil should the dip stick be fully inserted or left up like on older Detroit iron? I'd rather have a bit less oil in the crankcase than overfill it and put excess pressure on the oil seals.

I had confidence is this garage previously, but don't know now. Any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Push the dip stick all the way in to check the oil.

ROD
Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 3,535 Likes on 2,539 Posts

There is a discrepancy between the two sides of the dipstick on these engines, one side will read higher than the other side, always go by the lower reading. There likely wasn't anything wrong with the mechanic you used, they saw what they saw and many people don't know about the dipstick issue on these cars. Also oil expands a bit when hot so read when it is hot, a couple minutes after shut down.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I cold and hot check my oil, and maintain a level between the L and H.. anywhere in the range is acceptable. I wouldn't go to the L if you track.

cold check.. self explanatory.. cold oil, push dipstick all the way in, take the lower reading.

hot check.. hot oil, turn car off and let sit 5 minutes.. check.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

and definitly make sure the dipstick is fully inserted into the valve cover so you do not get a false reading of being low. Too Much Oil can cause seals to blow out. I fill mine to the top of the dipstick hash's on the low side of the dipstick
Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dipsticks must also be calibrated. If it's warped, bent, or even the wrong dipstick (previous owner loses it, and just takes it from another car) it won't read correctly. Thats an unlikely scenario considering our unique dipstick, but I've seen it on other cars.

Although they "saw what they saw," they should have checked the oil capacity for the engine. After putting .18 quarts more than required in and wanting to put another quart in, I don't think I'd trust them. Next thing thing you know BAM. Goodbye bearings.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes when you pull out the dipstick, oil could get onto inner dipstick piping and it could give you misreading. Check 4-5 times or maybe more to get clean reading. Best way is DIY so you know it's done correctly but I know it's not an option to many of us...
yea but like other members say, start car and shut off and wait 5-10 min and then check the level (on leveled ground).
If you think it's overfilled, then I would go back and let them know and they can drain some out without charge