S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tons of car problems

Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tons of car problems

3 days ago my CEL came up, I quickly scanned the codes and got p0135/p0141. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a bad o2 sensor right? To make sure it was a legit code, I did a ecu reset and the CEL came up 5mins later.
2 days later when I drove the car to do some errands, I started my car and it didn't start. Tow company jump started my car. 5 mins later, I notice my EPS start flickering then quickly after a ABS light. As I try to pull over my headlights started flickering and my cluster doesn't light up except to show the CEL, ABS and EPS then my car bogs and dies when I put it in neutral/lower rpm.
I jump started the car again (total of 4 times) to get home. Everytime I jump start my car it doesn't show the EPS and ABS light until a couple miles.

Please give me your inputs.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:27 PM

sounds like a bad alternator on the second part. not so sure about the cel.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Could it be my battery is dead? I have a duralast yellow top, 2 years old. I did some research and I should check for my brake fluid to make sure its not low? I have a spare battery that just needs to be charged though.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 PM

check your brake fluid levels. then, check how much brake pad you have left.

the thing about batteries, your battery starts the car and the alternator keeps its going and charges the battery. if that begins to fails, then the alternator wont charge the car and the car will drain the battery while you drive home.

you can try to take your car to autozone to test the battery and alternator. someone once told me, to test if it is the alternator, jump the car, then disconnect the battery. if the car runs fine, battery. if the car stops, alternator. but, that was an old guy who told me to warm up my engine.

as for the O2 sensor. one is primary, that sucks, might need to replace. the second code is, either the sensor or cat.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it difinity sounds like its the alternator. Pull it out and have it test at autozone or oreilly.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM

I just swapped batteries, my car runs perfectly again, besides the CEL It was to my understanding that it couldn't be the alternator because the EPS/ABS lights wouldn't show up until 5min. Also that all the lights interior/exterior was flickering.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-20-2012, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when the EPS light came on where you sitting in your car not moving with the revs high for like a few mins? if so the EPS will turn off and the light comes on. no biggy
Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now that its working perfectly again, you can test the alternator by disconnecting the battery and see if the car still idles. That way you can illumate the alternator.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Leviisbigred
when the EPS light came on where you sitting in your car not moving with the revs high for like a few mins? if so the EPS will turn off and the light comes on. no biggy
Nope, I was driving at the time. I figured keeping the rpm high it wouldn't die on me but still did within 5mins of driving. Pushing the car sucked in the rain.

Originally Posted by franky
now that its working perfectly again, you can test the alternator by disconnecting the battery and see if the car still idles. That way you can illumate the alternator.
I will be doing this next week, car is in the body shop now.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ans2k
someone once told me, to test if it is the alternator, jump the car, then disconnect the battery. if the car runs fine, battery. if the car stops, alternator. but, that was an old guy who told me to warm up my engine.
but its true.. unless the car is a modern car or fancy car... fancy modern cars turn off when you disconnect the battery to protect the computer...

but in my S2K I've done the unplug battery trick and it works

Quick Reply: Tons of car problems