S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Toda v Spoon Camshafts

Old 01-16-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toda v Spoon Camshafts

Hi guys,
Been offline for awhile am back in battery now, although the snow this year has kept the S2000 in the garage much of the winter.
In my quest to get the most out of this engine, before my surgery I was looking at the Toda cams that Chris had and tuning the car with a VAFC. Since then, I see that several vendors have Spoon cams available as an alternative. As I plan to stay NA and have all the good breathing parts, I'm going to try a set of aftermarket camshafts with the Apexi. So my question: has anyone compared the Toda and the Spoon camshafts? Is there any real data on where they come in and how long they last? I'm looking for solid mid-range gains, not high RPM gains.
Any help? Any recommendations of one set of camshafts over the other?
Thanks and glad to be back. Semper fidelis! dlk
Old 01-17-2003, 07:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

I have yet to hear anybody actually USING the Spoon cams.

Though the couple people that I know running the Toda cams LOVE THEM. One told me in its the ONLY thing you do.......get the cams. He has Mugen intake/header Aftermarket exhaust and other stuff too. Cams blew him away!

That will be the first thing I do after I get the $$$.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pinky
[B]I have yet to hear anybody actually USING the Spoon cams.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:04 AM
Community Organizer

I will not even try to speak to the spoon cams. Somebody has to put them in and maybe dyno the car too.

As for engine work............all thats needed is to upgrade the exhaust valve springs. THATS IT! The Toda cams are made to keep the car running nicely but just with extra power. I haven't heard anybody complain about idle.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:40 AM

The Spoon cams have been discontinued.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Community Organizer

Originally posted by speeeding
The Spoon cams have been discontinued.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 AM

as far as my lowly wrench brain goes, the cams on the toda series are going to have higher lift and duration, and will not make the car idle rougher. (tell me if im wrong) but the result of the rough idle is the result of using the hi ground cam in all stages, which makes the idle lumpy/rougher and makes gas mileage go down as well. To my knowledge, this arent' VTEC Killer cams, and thus will not have such an agressive profile as those. However, from driving the S, the vtec engagment could be a little harsher for me. My freinds b16a (chipped ecu, i/h/e) had an insane vtec pull, and the noise was like music to my ears ... just a thought
Old 01-17-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

TODA: six months! give us some Killer cams. I think it would be cool to see a NA done up: toda cams, Ultimate Racing throttle body and intake, Feels stroker, spoon header and head gasket, injen intake, a little head work, Greddy e-manage to fiddle with fuel and timing.

I think if you tried REAL hard (read: spend a lot of money) you could crack 300 hp at the wheels. Maybe. That would be sooooo cool.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:55 AM
Community Organizer

We will get a report back from one of the guys that told me to get the cam's when he is done tuning his EMS in the spring.

I expect him to be pushing ~250 to the wheels. With loads of torque compared to stock.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:57 PM

King Motorsports says it may be 60 days or so for before/after dyno results regarding Mugen ecu/Toda cam combination. I'd hate to give up Mugen ecu gains if I had the Toda. I think it will be a good combination, though, but I await some dyno results.

240-250 at the wheels on UL's dyno would be great!

Quick Reply: Toda v Spoon Camshafts