S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Toda TCT

Old 01-26-2021, 06:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
ss2ooo, you are already past the o-ring point, the chain guide is holding the tct back.

-hold inward pressure with one finger against tct
-Turn crank clockwise, while maintaining finger pressure
-It will take only a 1/16th of a turn of the crankshaft, that’s it.

-If the gap does not close, the TCT is too long for the application and should not be used, or it is not fully retracted

-you can also temporarily check fit by removing the orings
Thanks Billman, that worked perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 02:18 AM

ss2ooo, you are already past the o-ring point, the chain guide is holding the tct back.

-hold inward pressure with one finger against tct
-Turn crank clockwise, while maintaining finger pressure
-It will take only a 1/16th of a turn of the crankshaft, that’s it.

-If the gap does not close, the TCT is too long for the application and should not be used, or it is not fully retracted

-you can also temporarily check fit by removing the orings
Update: Finally took the car for a drive. Please to report that the engine makes less of a "clacky" noise; perhaps early signs of a failing TCT.

Question (last one I promise!) can rotating the crank during the tct install per billmans advice cause the timing to be out?

Many thanks!
Old 01-28-2021, 07:04 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad this worked for you!
I wish I had these tips available when I tried to install my Toda TCT.
Oh well, I will run the Honda unit for now and keep the Toda TCT on hand for future considerations....
ss2ooo (01-28-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:00 PM

Received 487 Likes on 398 Posts

The TODA unit shims the worm gear, which is why it can't fully retract past the locking pin. The "bushing" the worm gear sits on is sort of pressed on, TODA punches out the bushing, uses a washer, and presses the bushing back on.

This is why I prefer Billman's TCT it installs just like the OEM one, while functionality is improved.
ss2ooo (01-30-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 09:29 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for beating this thread to death!

I used the search function to post a question but I later realised it ended up in the UK owners group, which probably doesn't get as much traffic as this section.

Whilst inspecting the TCT inspection cover for leaks, I nipped it up just a touch after noticing a bit of oil. This seems to have stopped. (Note, I had to rethread the cover, long story).

Whilst there, I also checked the bolts connecting the TCT to the bolt. I note that one of them "feels" odd, like its about to snap (but has not snapped).

As far as I see my options are as follows:

1. Leave it alone (inclined to do this)

2. Pull the offending bolt out and replace whilst leaving the TCT in place (is this safe and possible?)

3. Pull the entire TCT and go through that process again (not inclined to do this... but if I must...)

Appreciate any and all advice!
Old 02-01-2021, 03:06 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Remove and replace one bolt at a time. TCT can stay in place, provided one bolt stays tight.
windhund116 (02-01-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 02:31 AM

Received 210 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SkidPad
Agreed, I installed the TODA TCT in cool weather, about 50F.
After installation, it was about 30 minutes before I started the engine and it was very noisy.
I shut it off immediately.
Not knowing what the issue was, I popped the valve cover to check that everything appeared OK, then installed the new Honda OEM unit.
The engine is now quieter than ever. (whew!)

I bench tested the TODA TCT and noticed the piston extended very slowly after releasing the retaining bolt.
It took about an hour to fully extend.

In my estimation, there was nothing wrong with the TODA TCT, except that there were no install instructions, and I did not find anything in the various TCT threads that suggested one had to manually extend the piston after releasing the retaining bolt to ensure the piston was contacting the tensioner button.
In warmer weather it may have extended more quickly and all would have been fine...

I would suggest bench testing the unit before installation as it is easy to retract, and perhaps oil the piston with a bit of engine oil to ensure it extends easily.
So basically you're recommending to install the Today TCT, remove the retaining bolt and wait an hour or more before starting to be safe? Or remove the retaining bolt before installation to ensure the piston extends fully and if it doesn't or extends very slowly, lube it up with oil and then install?
Old 05-23-2021, 02:49 AM

NTN is the original/OEM. Super clean engine looks like it has 10 miles on it.
Yeah my 21 year old AP1 has the very same NTN TCT which is OEM/factory supplied. NTN makes other bearings on the car as well like the driveshaft bearings.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
So basically you're recommending to install the Today TCT, remove the retaining bolt and wait an hour or more before starting to be safe? Or remove the retaining bolt before installation to ensure the piston extends fully and if it doesn't or extends very slowly, lube it up with oil and then install?
Can confirm either of those methods should be fine. Of note, I took the opportunity to replace the valve cover gasket and therefore installed the TCT with the valve cover off (i.e with a clear view from the top-down of the piston extending)
Old 05-29-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ss2ooo
Can confirm either of those methods should be fine. Of note, I took the opportunity to replace the valve cover gasket and therefore installed the TCT with the valve cover off (i.e with a clear view from the top-down of the piston extending)
That's the method I'd choose as well to verify if the piston extended as it should (VC off, clear view of the TCT on the inside of the timing chain cover)
SkidPad (05-31-2021)