S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Toda TCT

Old 10-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Banned
Member (Premium)Vendor - Emerging
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 113 Posts

I do use/sell the Toda Racing V2 TCT. I don't sell to people in Canada unless they pick up the part at a shipper on the border. I know a shop that has sold/installed about 40 of these in the past year and I've sold about 15 without any issues. Toda USA will stand by the product, but you have to buy from them or a authorized US/CA dealer.

To retract the piston, you put the TCT vertical on a table and press down on it until the piston stops, you then tighten the nut. The piston will stick out past the aluminum cast part a few MM.

The O rings on the Toda TCT piston can make it slow or not retract at all on one I bought from March 2020. I had to put a lot of pressure on the black bolt to push the piston out. One from 2018 didn't have this issue and I could pull the piston out with 2 fingers. Toda applies some grease on the piston/cylinder, but some engine oil will increase lubrication. When the TCT is off the engine, you could loosen the nut and push the piston in and out a few times to pre lube the cylinder.

When I install the TCT while it's in the engine, I loosen the nut and push the black bolt as far as it can go, this way you know there is tension on the chain.

Last edited by jackmugen02; 10-29-2020 at 10:23 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jackmugen02:
RolanTHUNDER (05-23-2021), SkidPad (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 10:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

OK, I picked up the Honda OEM TCT and installed it without issue.
Started it up - SUCCESS!
Nice and quiet.....
Per Jack's comments, the o-rings on the TODA piston appeared to be very tight. No way could I move the piston by hand.
So perhaps if I had extended the piston with the retaining bolt once installed it would have been fine.
Nonetheless, I will leave the Honda TCT in there for now and keep the TODA TCT on hand,
All good!!

Last edited by SkidPad; 10-31-2020 at 06:19 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-01-2020, 01:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn... I have a toda tct still in the box! Undecided as to whether I will use it.

Anyone have further comments?
Old 11-01-2020, 03:29 AM

Received 648 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2ooo
Damn... I have a toda tct still in the box! Undecided as to whether I will use it.

Anyone have further comments?

Sure. I bought a Toda TCT from Jack and installed it. No issues. Ran it all summer.
The following users liked this post:
jackmugen02 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 04:10 AM

Received 452 Likes on 379 Posts

Just do what Jack described above and make sure the grease or whatever they put inside it hasn't dried up or got sticky.
The following 2 users liked this post by flanders:
jackmugen02 (11-01-2020), SkidPad (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 06:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Agreed, I installed the TODA TCT in cool weather, about 50F.
After installation, it was about 30 minutes before I started the engine and it was very noisy.
I shut it off immediately.
Not knowing what the issue was, I popped the valve cover to check that everything appeared OK, then installed the new Honda OEM unit.
The engine is now quieter than ever. (whew!)

I bench tested the TODA TCT and noticed the piston extended very slowly after releasing the retaining bolt.
It took about an hour to fully extend.

In my estimation, there was nothing wrong with the TODA TCT, except that there were no install instructions, and I did not find anything in the various TCT threads that suggested one had to manually extend the piston after releasing the retaining bolt to ensure the piston was contacting the tensioner button.
In warmer weather it may have extended more quickly and all would have been fine...

I would suggest bench testing the unit before installation as it is easy to retract, and perhaps oil the piston with a bit of engine oil to ensure it extends easily.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 PM

Hi all,

Reviving this thread as I'm (finally) thinking about installing my TODA TCT.

After consulting the previous posts, I plan on bench testing the unit and lubricating with engine oil to ensure the TCT extends on installation.

Questions:

- The box says " Racing use only " - Is there any reason behind this? Will the TODA TCT 'overtighten' my timing chain and is the toda tct intended for use with the other toda timing parts (chain, guides)

- The black screw on the unit - Do I take this out to retract the piston? I note a post above mentions screwing it in! (yes I could experiment myself, but would rather know for sure before messing about)

- As there is no 'pin' holding back the piston, I assume this eliminates the need to open the inspection hole?

Appreciate all feedback/help!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:07 PM

"Racing use only" is something you will find on most aftermarket parts, I think it's mostly a liability thing and it doesn't have to mean much.
If you retract the screw the piston will come out and also the opposite if you screw it in, probably a good idea to bench test it.
Yes no need to open inspection hole.
ss2ooo (01-24-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
"Racing use only" is something you will find on most aftermarket parts, I think it's mostly a liability thing and it doesn't have to mean much.
If you retract the screw the piston will come out and also the opposite if you screw it in, probably a good idea to bench test it.
Yes no need to open inspection hole.
Thanks Flanders,

Something I forgot to ask - Once installed, is the screw removed or does it remain on the car (but unscrewed slightly)? Forgive me if this is a silly question.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:38 AM

Screw must be removed and then replaced with the nozzle, you also need to install the cover.
This is the removal version so basically reversed.

ss2ooo (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Toda TCT