S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TODA Cam Install

Old 01-18-2005, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TODA Cam Install

OK I have TODA (Spec A) cams and am awaiting to do the install. It wont be till this Late Spring but, I need to do my research now. I want to Know everything I am going to need to to do it. Im am pretty much starting and nothing and what ever is posted her for me to find and read up on I will go from there. I will also be putting in the Toda Vaulve Springs. So who all has done this cam install. And can post anyhting usefull to my search.

Thanx

-Eric
Old 01-18-2005, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by learnerspermit
Im am pretty much starting and nothing and what ever is posted her for me to find and read up on I will go from there.
I will also be putting in the Toda Vaulve Springs.
So who all has done this cam install. And can post anyhting usefull to my search.

Dude....I hope your mechanical skills are better than your english skills

j/k
Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

marcucci (from this board) installed my cams & valve springs originally. I've since swapped the cams a handful of times.

You'll need a Helms manual, plus all the tools that it says will be needed to pull the head (for replacing the valve springs). Swapping the cams themselves is pretty simple... swapping the valve springs is not.

Also, one thing that may not be noted in the Helms manual that's useful to know is that the end nut on the cams (on the end that the cam plate is on, not the end that the cam gear is on) is reverse-threaded.

Oh, and one more thing just to make you nervous:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...dpost&p=4637828

Please do a before & after dyno for this install... otherwise you may never know if you're making power or losing it.

As far as I know, no one is still running these cams and making power with them. Kinda scary, huh?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Isn't there a way to replace the valve springs without removing the head? I read somewhere that you can pressurize the cylinder (with an air compressor) to hold the valves closed while you swap the springs.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 AM

I've heard rumors that it can be done. I haven't heard of anyone doing it on an F20C.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:40 AM

BTW... make sure that the Toda cams are not the original black (Parkerized) ones. Those have a tendency to have the lobes shear off. The later ones are silver.

Unfortunately, the black ones (that have a tendency to shear off) were the only ones that I could get to make power. The silver ones are in my car right now, and I'm down on power vs stock cams.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

question, did you buy their cam gears also and tried tuning for power through that?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by bluesaint,Jan 19 2005, 12:22 PM
question, did you buy their cam gears also and tried tuning for power through that?
Nope, the first set of cams (the black ones than disintegrated) did not require any tuning to make power. Since the second set are supposed to be identical, I expected the same results... unfortunately, I haven't yet found the same results.

In my opinion, cam gears are one of two things:
1) A crutch for cams which are not properly spec'd, or
2) A tool for moving the torque curve around a bit to satisfy your specific needs.

In my case, the torque curve is exactly where I want it... but it's about 5-10 lb/ft too low, so the only reason to add cam gears would be to use them as a crutch for cams which are not properly spec'd.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you mic both cam lobes and check for differences or just go by what you were told?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have you done a compression test or leakdown test recently to make sure your engine is actually healthy? Could be after your first set distengrated your motor is running less optimal, so it made the silver toda cams loose power?

So Toda said you don't need their cam gears to properly tune the cams?

Quick Reply: TODA Cam Install