S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Titanium valve retainer noise

Old 05-08-2006, 11:54 AM
abv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Titanium valve retainer noise

So I just replaced my retainers with the rev ti units and put in the intake springs on the exhaust...

Heard some tapping of valves after i did a valve adjustment so i tore it back open and checked the adjustment did a few small tweaks and STILL valve noise ( its not a chain adjuster by the way)...

Anyone have any ideas why? is there something about ti valve retainers that cause more noise or are the s2000 just kinda noisy and im forgetting how noisy it was before install?... any ideas?

thanks in advance...
Old 05-08-2006, 12:20 PM

Ti retainers let a lot more valve noise come through than the stock pieces. I had Ti retainers on a built b16 a while back and it chattered like crazy even though everything was adjusted to spec.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
abv

Thanks for the quick response....i was going friggin crazy trying to figure that out... bought a stethascope to listen to the engine my neighbors think im a freak....

by the way The Vtech assembly is damn cool never took apart one of those before
Old 05-08-2006, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=abv,May 8 2006, 04:33 PM] Thanks for the quick response....i was going friggin crazy trying to figure that out... bought a stethascope to listen to the engine
Old 05-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Make sure you periodically check/adj the valve clearance and keep an eye on the edge of the Ti retainers. Ti can gall when in contact with other metals (think retainer to spring contact). In some instances, Ti retainers have shown accelerated wear and thinning on the edges.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:33 PM
abv

DARK FX

ARRGH!!! me mateee no I havent taken apart such a seaworthy phnoe as your!!! ARRGGHH!!!! bring me a wench to take apart a phone!!! get it wench!!! HA!

I crack myself up....oh god....

Shivers thanks for the info will do
Old 05-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Please check and see if the exhaust retainers are coming in contact with the rocker arm on the back side of the retainer. I had to clearance the exhaust rocker arms so they would not hit on my engine.

My engine DOES NOT USE stock cams, stock valves, springs, retainers, etc., so this may not be the case with your set up.

I do think it's worth the time to make a quick check just to be sure.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:22 PM

i have REV ti. retainers in my k20a2, and even after adjustments theyre noisy as well. What i found strange (just my observations) my motor sounds about as loud as a stock f20. Maybe the f20 needed an adjustment though......but what you are describing sounds very normal. I find it quite annoying when driving next to things, the echo of the valves ticking bothers me. Before the final adjustment, the motor sounded like a diesel rsx
Old 05-12-2006, 06:51 PM
abv

Allrighty then I figured it out...actually tony fuchs figured it out...apparently im on crack.....and one of my valves was out of adjustment..he adjusted it again noise gone.....

but it still is louder than the stock...

p.ps the intake valve on the number 4 cylinder closest to the firewall is a bitch to get at....
Old 05-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abv,May 12 2006, 10:51 PM
Allrighty then I figured it out...actually tony fuchs figured it out...apparently im on crack.....and one of my valves was out of adjustment..he adjusted it again noise gone.....

but it still is louder than the stock...

p.ps the intake valve on the number 4 cylinder closest to the firewall is a bitch to get at....
oh ok I was gonna ask if you by chance forgot to put the lost motion springs that keep the rocker up when not in VTEC

Quick Reply: Titanium valve retainer noise