S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tires wearing on the inside more

Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires wearing on the inside more

Just got new tires installed like 2-3k miles ago, All 4 tires are wearing out on the inside more just like the stock tires were. I should have gotten an alignment right after but didnt know where to go. Anyone in the Bay Area, CA know of a good place to take it?

I took it to one place and they dont have an actual machine for alignments but he checked the toe, and its toeing out, he also checked the cambers and it was very slightly off but no biggie I guess.

He wanted to charge me $60 to fix the front and im assuming $60 for the back, but am not sure if that will fix my problem of wearing out on the inside more, since he doesnt have a machine and if I should take it to a person that will actually test everything involved in it.

The car is stock and it has the stock settings still but am not sure if I should request different settings for my alignment as I am not very knowledgeable in regards to this, I just know I have a problem and dont want to replace my tires again as I just did all 4.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Just in case, I got an AP2
Old 08-26-2010, 10:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought my AP1 the rear tires where bold in the middle and the fronts were bold on the inside. I had my brother check the alignment and everything was with in spec. The S2k's just run alot of camber and my brother was amazed at the amount of caster they run.

A 4-wheel alignment at Les Swabs(sp?) is $81. A little less with my brothers discount.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, find a good alignment shop.

Second, inner wear isn't necessarily abnormal. Depends on your specific alignment and goals. My alignment is "on the aggressive end of stock specs" and the inners do wear faster so I have to make sure I'm not just measuring tread depth on the outers.

You can certainly have your alignment set up to reduce or even eliminate this but make sure you understand the consequences.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you drive hard enough you can wear the outsides too.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A) You should post in the Bay Area forums, since you know...
B) Auto Innovations in Milpitas, CA
C) This is to an extent normal. Stock US Alignment settings has a negative degree of camber in the rear; meaning for sure the inner tire will wear faster. If your car was put to UK spec alignment (Which IMO, should be the default stock alignment) you'd have -2 degree in the rear, and -1 degree in the front. Depending on the way you drive, you will always have more inner wear on this car. Welcome to driving a sports car
D) That being said, it all depends on how you drive your S. I know plenty of people where the S is more or less just a cruiser for them; they enjoy being in it but they don't really push the card, stock US alignment is spot on. If you enjoy getting into the twisties, or even just cornering hard I'd definitely suggest looking at going to UK spec alignment

Camber- F: -1 degree, R: -2 Degrees
Caster- 6+ (as much as they can crank out)
Toe- 0 front, 1/16th rear total
Old 08-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Jesus hates you.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by H22toF20,Aug 26 2010, 10:42 PM
When I bought my AP1 the rear tires where bold in the middle and the fronts were bold on the inside. I had my brother check the alignment and everything was with in spec. The S2k's just run alot of camber and my brother was amazed at the amount of caster they run.

A 4-wheel alignment at Les Swabs(sp?) is $81. A little less with my brothers discount.
That's a bold tire statement.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:32 PM

And "bold in the middle" usually means overinflation.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I run 2.2 camber front, 3.0 camber rear with 0 toe up front and .20 degree toe-in per side, and 3 of my tires are wearing perfectly evenly except for the right front.. that tire loses the inside 1/2 of the thread very fast to the point of it showing cords while the others are just perfect. I do drive aggressively but I can't understand 1 tire messing up all the time. Car's never been wrecked either.

The point is, asides from my tire issue, is that the alignment needs to match the driving style. With the OEM alignment the car did not behave as I wanted it to, and I kept eating up the inside edges fast on all 4. I then went to the UK alignment and the wear was much better, but I wanted more .

Quick Reply: Tires wearing on the inside more