S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Tire shop horror story! Please help!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire shop horror story! Please help!

My car was making some crazy grinding noise from driver side rear tire, I took it to this auto shop out here in Cali, they said I needed to replace my wheel bearing and hub... car was running great when I dropped it off. When I picked up my s2k the check engine light was on flashing and the car was sputtering, I couldn't understand how when I dropped it off to have the bearing and hub worked on why when I picked my car up it had these new conditions. I drove it up the street and it was really bad, soon I started to notice that my brakes were not working right, I took it back to them and after 2-4 hrs they realized that they forgot to hook the ABS up right, nor did they unplug the battery before disconnecting the ABS in the first place....Could this be the reason why my car is acting so crazy, could them not disconnecting the battery before the ABS or not hooking the ABS up after they finished cause such a misfire ?? Please help, tire shop refuses to take responsibility, is this just a coincidence ?

Codes were

301- Cylinder 1 misfire
302-cylinder 2 misfire
303-cylinder 3 misfire
p0300-Random cylinder misfires
p1399- ??

I have 96k miles on the car
Old 01-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E_ME_22,Jan 11 2008, 01:14 PM
My car was making some crazy grinding noise from driver side rear tire, I took it to this auto shop out here in Cali, they said I needed to replace my wheel bearing and hub... car was running great when I dropped it off. When I picked up my s2k the check engine light was on flashing and the car was sputtering, I couldn't understand how when I dropped it off to have the bearing and hub worked on why when I picked my car up it had these new conditions. I drove it up the street and it was really bad, soon I started to notice that my brakes were not working right, I took it back to them and after 2-4 hrs they realized that they forgot to hook the ABS up right, nor did they unplug the battery before disconnecting the ABS in the first place....Could this be the reason why my car is acting so crazy, could them not disconnecting the battery before the ABS or not hooking the ABS up after they finished cause such a misfire ?? Please help, tire shop refuses to take responsibility, is this just a coincidence ?

Codes were

301- Cylinder 1 misfire
302-cylinder 2 misfire
303-cylinder 3 misfire
p0300-Random cylinder misfires
p1399- ??
What was the mileage of your car when you dropped it off at the tire shop and when you picked it up?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM

Car had 97344 on it just checked the reciept and when I picked it up it had 97349
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 AM

you know in my mind it takes more than 5 m,iles to warm up a car...atleast i dont drive the piss out of my s2k till its all warm, trans rear end ect...and that takes me more than 5 miles in somewhat cool wheather. i wonder if tehy put on a reaaaaaaaaly tough 5 mi.

plus 5 mi is a little much for a test drive to check bearing noise. id question that.

also ask if tehy went on teh freeway, if they had to get up to speed and then turn around that could be the reason but if tehy say no id start questioning how they drove the car.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM

I questioned them they said that they only took it around the building a few laps to make sure there was no problems with the bearing or new hub, and before they changed the hub and bearing they also drove it a few laps around the building which is a pretty large street to determine it was the bearing and hub.

Any idea why I would have misfires on 1,2, and 3 but not 4 ? I have never changed my spark plugs, could all 3 have fouled at the same time ?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 AM

nope...we have an iridium plug. not really prone to fouling. reset the ECU and take it to a dealer and have them clear the hard codes and see if tehy come back. im wondering if another CEL caused the missfires and those are just a symptom and not the problem
Old 01-11-2008, 11:43 AM

wow that sucks man... I sure hope they didn't pop it in second instead of 4th coming off that freeway and are now pretending that it isn't their fault at all.

it's cases like this that makes me nervous as he!! dropping my car of and leaving it any type of shop.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM

I saw a guy test driving my car a few months ago when I dropped my car off at a body shop to get me front bumper repainted. (luckly all was fine with my car) I totally flipped out and the charge was waived. From then on i've been using the forums and my resources to perform the work myself, because then the only "test drives" are by me hope it all works out for you bro.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Well the car is still at there shop and they refuse to take any responsiblity there is really no way for me to prove that them driving the car caused the problem. I am kind of at a loss, I have no idea what to do, I guess I will start with changing the plugs, then move to the coil's, then from there head towards the injectors, to the crank sensor....I am praying that the plugs are my suspect, but that is wishful thinking. Those coils' are so dang expensive, anyone know anywhere I can get them cheaper than the dealer ?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ Majestic Honda is a dealer that sells parts online for a really big discount. Coil packs are still expensive.

Quick Reply: Tire shop horror story! Please help!